protools le wav file playback problem

zook250

Hi all. i am having a problem with wav file play back after bouncing with protools le 6.4 and digi001. i can successfully bounce the song , but when i burn it onto a disc or even just try to play it back with windows media player , the playback is slowed down. this happens with wav. and aiff. files.
this has never happened to me before and a cant figure out what is going on to cause this.

since there is no protools catagory , i hope this is a good place to post this, you guys are faster than the DUC guys.

thanks.

you need to bounce the wav file in Pro Tools down to 44.1kHz, 16bit .WAV file and burn that to CD.
You're bouncing the file to an incorrect sample rate

when i check the properties of the wav file , they are as follows
bitrate 1411 kbps
sample size 16 bit
channels 2 ( stereo)
audio sample rate 44 khz
audio format pcm

the configuration i have is 8 tracks through the digi001 and 6 tracks through an ada8000 ( behringer ) could the sample rate on the ada8000 be set differently than that of the digi001 and the file is being converted to the sample rate of the behringer instead of the digi001? when i burn the disc i set it for 44.1 khz, 16 bit, stereo interleved.

the funny thing is , the bounce takes 4:04, during this time the tracks play at normal speed and everything seems to be working right. then when i listen to the song in my truck, i start the song as soon as the minute changes on the clock( to time the duration) and it is pretty darn close to 4:04 seconds.
how much will the sampling rate change the speed? the sample rate in the properties is 44 khz not 44.1( does windows round down?)

zook250 said:
when i check the properties of the wav file , they are as follows
bitrate 1411 kbps
sample size 16 bit
channels 2 ( stereo)
audio sample rate 44 khz
audio format pcm

the configuration i have is 8 tracks through the digi001 and 6 tracks through an ada8000 ( behringer ) could the sample rate on the ada8000 be set differently than that of the digi001 and the file is being converted to the sample rate of the behringer instead of the digi001? when i burn the disc i set it for 44.1 khz, 16 bit, stereo interleved.

the funny thing is , the bounce takes 4:04, during this time the tracks play at normal speed and everything seems to be working right. then when i listen to the song in my truck, i start the song as soon as the minute changes on the clock( to time the duration) and it is pretty darn close to 4:04 seconds.
how much will the sampling rate change the speed? the sample rate in the properties is 44 khz not 44.1( does windows round down?)

You are setting it up as a bmf.wav right? When you bounce you need to set it to bmf.wav 16bit 44100khz stereo interleaved. No the Behringer doesn't make a difference, you probably have it slaved to the 002 anyway so it just picks up whatever samplerate you're using.

i think i f'd up when i set up the behringer for the recording. when i got home i looked at the back of the ada8000 and it is set to 48 khz master, adat out.

at this setting the play back is fine, when i switch it to 44.1 the recording playback slows down. i have also set it to slave and the same thing, slow playback. i went into the setup menu in protools and it only allows 44.1 khz. any ideas?
i think this recording is screwed, cant be burned.

zook250 said:
i think i f'd up when i set up the behringer for the recording. when i got home i looked at the back of the ada8000 and it is set to 48 khz master, adat out.

at this setting the play back is fine, when i switch it to 44.1 the recording playback slows down. i have also set it to slave and the same thing, slow playback. i went into the setup menu in protools and it only allows 44.1 khz. any ideas?
i think this recording is screwed, cant be burned.

I'm pretty sure if your Behri was at the wrong setting then you'd notice during recording, with pops and clicks and such. I can't really see your ada8000 fucking up your bounce down.

i didnt get any pops or clicks, in fact its one of the best sounding recordings i have done. but the problem has to be somthing to do with the fact that the ada8000 was set to 48 while the digi 001 was at 44.1 if the behringer is set as the master at 48 for tracks 9 through 14, would track 1 through 8 (the digi001) also be at 48khz? ( i recorded 14 track simultaneously 8 with the digi and 6 with the ada)

i received this reply from the DUC website. sounds like a lot of work to get it straightend out.

This problem occurs when recording from a digital source into Pro Tools where the digital source sample rate and the session sample rate don't match. This can result in audio being played back too fast or too slow once that digital source clock is removed, or the session is bounced down and the bounced audio is played back in another program.

The reason this occurs is that, in Pro Tools, all audio files are 'tagged' at the session sample rate when they're recorded, even though those files aren't actually recorded at the session sample rate.

As an example - let's say you're recording from an Alesis ADAT whose sample rate is 48k. The Pro Tools session is set to 44.1k. When you record anything - from the ADAT, through the ADAT or through my Digidesign interface, that audio is recorded at 48k, even though the session is at 44.1.

Since these audio files are actual 48k files, when the clock source (the ADAT in the above example) is disconnected or Pro Tools clock source is set back to internal, the audio files will sound slow, as they are now being played at the Pro Tools session sample rate of 44.1k.

The solution to this problem (with Pro Tools 6 or higher) is to go to Windows>Show Workspace and locate the audio files on your drives. Once you locate them, scroll over to the 'Sample Rate' column for those audio files and change the sample rate to the correct sample rate for the files - in the above case, they'll show '44100', so just change them to '48000'. Then close the session, create a new session at the correct sample rate of 48k and, from the File menu, choose 'Import Session Data' and point it to the original session file. You'll then be able to import the tracks from the original session, exactly as you had it set up in that session, along with the audio files. Make sure to choose the option to 'Copy All Media' and uncheck the option for 'Apply SRC' (sample rate conversion). You'll then have a new session that will play back correctly.

In the future, always make sure that your session sample rate and external device sample rates match to avoid this particular situation.

If that's the case then get another cable and slave your ada to the 002 and you'll never have that problem again.

done. the fix worked just as the DUC guy said it would. this was actually pretty easy to accomplish, but it took a lot of time to import the tracks as the whole session was around 19.5 gig.

zook250 said:
done. the fix worked just as the DUC guy said it would. this was actually pretty easy to accomplish, but it took a lot of time to import the tracks as the whole session was around 19.5 gig.

can you give me a link to that DUC thread....I'd like to ask that guy a question

thanks

Back