ProTools Digi001 sync issues

geekgurl

Hi everyone:

I'm hoping some of you have some insight into this problem -- either because you have the same hard-disk recorder or experienced it with other sources and your Digi 001.

When I connect the Digi and VS together via SPDIF to dump 2 tracks at a time into the computer, I keep getting these clicks in the PT tracks. Decreasing volume doesn't help. I'm using a 24-bit session, 44.1KHz sample rate ... so, the sample rate matches what I recorded the Roland stuff in, but the material is being recorded into 24-bit, through 24-bit converters. I know the Roland's converters are only 16-bit, but I don't see why I'd have a problem since I'm going UP in wordlength/bit resolution, not DOWN. And SPDIF is always a 24-bit standard, right?

Has anybody else had this problem? I didn't have it with my 20-bit Gina card (but I sold that). It seems to occur regardless of whether I'm using MTC to sync. And the sync is indeed perfect when I use it, so I can't figure out what's going on.

Any input appreciated,

gg

Ah, thanks Charger, I will try that. Funny thing, I don't get clicks when going from my DI Port AD/DA converter into the Digi, but if this is what lets the VS play nice with it, then I'll do it for those instances.

Do you still work for/with Digidesign?

If you're sending audio signals between equipment digitally, something always has to be the master clock. The occasional click will occur if you don't have a master digital clock, because every pieve of digital equipment has its own clock, and there is no way for them all to be perfect.

It's been almost 2 years since I worked there. Bummer, I totally missed the employee discounts on all the HD stuff...

Makes sense now; the DI Port lets me choose whether or not it is the master ... I guess the Roland doesn't or I don't know how to make it the slave, so your suggestion worked perfectly. Thank you.

I know about the discounts ... but since I was there as a contract writer (the same time you were I bet! 2000-2001 ... now I may have blown my cover ... ) I wasn't eligible anyway.

PM me if you want ... I'm thinking you're one of two people I met while there ... I can't PM you, I don't think, as I tried once but you don't have that option set up.

But, if you don't want to, that's cool. Thanks again for the advice.

Cheers,

gg

Back