ProTools compatible system

fraserhutch

Flypaper for freaks
hey all.

Looking to add the ability to track with a protools system. I would like it to be portable, so USB or firewire is the way to go. I also only need two tracks (stereo) as this is a tracking supplement to my Cubase system.

Should I go Digi with an Mbox system? If so, which? Pro 2? Mini?

Should I go Maudio? I don't know much about these systems.

Pros? Cons? Other options?

Looking for best convertors available in this category. Preamps not important as I'll most likely use outboard.

Also, I do have outboard convertors, so if these support SPDIF or ADAT (preferred) I could go that route.

I am just loioking to be able to track into PT.

Thanks for all advice!

ok, i love digi and all of their products.

but.

for some reason, i can't stand behind the Mbox Pro. the mini for $300 sounds cool. the pro just doesnt justify the price, and im not sure about the mbox 2 for $550, although taht does add midi and spdif.

for my needs, i'd probably have to go for the standard mbox 2, even though for twice the price, you get the digi002 with 12x the features..

also, dont expect any digi products to work with cubase.

for months now, i cannot get my digi 002 to work with cubase sl3.. oh well, i like pro tools anyway.

My 002 works fine with Cubase. :confused:

I have an Mbox (original one) and love it. Except that it essential one of the world largest and most expensive dongles so I can use Pro Tools on the road.

I haven't done the math but I think a PTLE system will cost less than an M-audio Mpowered setup. PT Mpowered is extra, while PTLE is included when you buy a digi interface.

IF you only need 2 inputs and pres aren't an issue.. the mbox 2 gives you pretty good bang for buck. With SPDIF you can bypass the pres and convertors if you have better stuff to plug it into. Otherwise you'll be going though the pres even if you have better ones that you are using for level. Only way to truly bypass the pres is to go in digital.

Which is very commonly done.

Take care,
Chris

hmm odd...

yeah, add $250 to any maudio interface for PT mpowered.. basically, the same, or a lil more, but less quality i think.

Watch Craigslist in your area. I recently picked up a used Mbox for $150 and a Digi001 for $300 a little over a year ago. I think the original Mbox works fine. I also have an old Audiomedia III card that still works fine and when I ran an ART DPS II into the SPDIF input, I got great Pbass tones and good solid vocals too.

bilco

Thanks for the info.

To clarify - I do not expect DIGI products to work with cubase. I expect to possibly export the waves and import them into Cubase, but this is JUST to have PT compatibility for people who want to track in my room.

TragikRemix said:
also, dont expect any digi products to work with cubase.

for months now, i cannot get my digi 002 to work with cubase sl3.. oh well, i like pro tools anyway.

I was thinking of going spdif from my Myteks.

Thanks!

Chris Shaeffer said:
My 002 works fine with Cubase. :confused:

I have an Mbox (original one) and love it. Except that it essential one of the world largest and most expensive dongles so I can use Pro Tools on the road.

I haven't done the math but I think a PTLE system will cost less than an M-audio Mpowered setup. PT Mpowered is extra, while PTLE is included when you buy a digi interface.

IF you only need 2 inputs and pres aren't an issue.. the mbox 2 gives you pretty good bang for buck. With SPDIF you can bypass the pres and convertors if you have better stuff to plug it into. Otherwise you'll be going though the pres even if you have better ones that you are using for level. Only way to truly bypass the pres is to go in digital.

Which is very commonly done.

Take care,
Chris

Good tips. Thanks.

bilco said:
Watch Craigslist in your area. I recently picked up a used Mbox for $150 and a Digi001 for $300 a little over a year ago. I think the original Mbox works fine. I also have an old Audiomedia III card that still works fine and when I ran an ART DPS II into the SPDIF input, I got great Pbass tones and good solid vocals too.

bilco

fraserhutch said:
Thanks for the info.

To clarify - I do not expect DIGI products to work with cubase. I expect to possibly export the waves and import them into Cubase, but this is JUST to have PT compatibility for people who want to track in my room.

Hey guys, Up until this weekend I was using Cubase SX3 with a firepod. I traded in the Firepod for a digi002 with Pro Tools 7. Once I setup the I/O's in Cubase it works perfectly with the Digi002.
I was even able o completely import songs created in Cubase right into ProTools.

What problems are you running into?

I'd say just go with the mini for portable. TO me, devices that need spdif, midi, makes it not so portable. Interms of the mini vs. mpowered, you pay only about $50 for the interface which is a great deal. Now i have no experience with either maudio or digi design interfaces, i have used m-audio pci cars from the beginning. I have alot of other m-audio things and i've always been impressed. I don't think you can really go wrong either way but the mini is the cheapest.

Back