Protools beginner pls help

ustadjohnny

Hi
I am completely new to protools. I'd be grateful if someone taught me how to a) Get my guitar recorded A I Have the tone I want on amp.
b) Overdub on it and record the two together.

There are many ways to record your guitar.
You could use a emulator such as POD and connect that directly to the input of your pro tools console.
You could mic a guitar amp using a microphone (such as Shure sm57) and connect it to a mixer or a preamp and then connect that into the input of the protools console.

Im not the expert on over dubbing but you record two or sepperate guitar tracks and then sync (is that the right word?) them.
hope that helped

How to sync?

Hi again,

Sorry if I sound completely boo boo. But, what is the Protools "console"? I only have the software, can I plug my guitar into the mic port of my soundcard? And how to "sync"?

Pro Tools software only works with Pro Tools hardware. Was your "sound card" made by digidesign?

Or do you have the Free version of Pro Tools?

It's all pretty simple to use, if you have a simple understanding of multitrack software. A great place to learn about Pro Tools is at the Digidesign User Conference... http://duc.digidesign.com

It also might help if you could describe to us what you have. For example, what kind of soundcard, amplifier, microphone or microphones, and any other recording gear, as well as the audio hardware (soundcard).

I have a P4 1.3 GHZ comp, 128 mb ram Protools enhanced Zone edition software. My soundcard is an inbuilt (wtih the motherboard one, I know it sucks but that's all I got. I got an SM 57 that I can lay my hands on, A samick 15 watt amp. and stomp boxes.
I just want to record layers of guitar so that I canm give it to my friends for them to figure out their parts.

Back