Protools 11 Upgrade Questions

Zman4700

Hello. I've decided that after finding out that if I duplicate 2 tracks and put a plugin on one along with a phase cancelation, and they are out of phase now after 1 3rd party plugin, its time to make my way to a DAW that doesn't destroy my whole mixes. So I'm deciding to upgrade to Protools 11 because I've heard that it has absolutely no problems with Delay compensation. First I had 4 questions that I would like to know regarding Protools 11:

1. Is the Delay compensation indeed flawless unlike ableton once 3rd party plugins are placed on a track and will sends from busses, busses with plugins one them etc. be compensated for as well?

2. A plus about ableton is that it runs VST and AU. I have a bunch of both of these type of plugins, especially all my waves plugins in .VST. How will I run all my old 32 bit .vst plugins with protools which handles only aax.

3. Is it possible to record with plugins on in protools. (Will that be automatically compensated for as well unlike ableton)

4. Are there any limitations, restrictions to protools 11 if i purchase it with a student discount?

Looking forward to responses. Thanks!

Ironically delay compensation, or the lack thereof, has been the biggest downfall of ProTools over the last number of years.
Thankfully they finally introduced it a few versions ago.
I now use PT11 and can say I have no issues with it.

I did have issues with aux tracks being delayed (without plugs!) in PT10 but A: I think it was a glitch and B: It's not an issue in 11.

You won't be able to run your vst or au plugs unless the manufacturer offers an AAX version. Many of them do now, so check that out.

It is possible to record with the plugins enabled. I usually track vocals with eq and reverb enabled.
As far as I know, delay compensation works just fine whilst recording.
You'll always have some degree of latency of your input signal though, unless you have direct monitoring on your interface. That's just how it works.

There are no limitations or restrictions on the student discount version. In fact, it's not version. It's just a discount on the same PT that everyone else has.

I believe Avid offer a 30 day trial, as long as you have an ilok 2.

Hope that's useful.

Thank you so much for the reply. Well since I am just looking to upgrade to a great DAW right now that handels delay compensation flawlessly AND trying to run all my all vst's/AU's, how does Logic handle delay compensation? I know I can only run my AU's and in 64 bit but I think there is some bridge to run them in 32 bit right?

Honestly? I don't know. I have no experience with logic, I'm afraid.
Seriously though, check to see if AAX versions exist. I know Waves brought out an AAX update for free.

Back