>>Protest Song<<

Cool tune to cover

It sounded pretty trebley over hear. Almost like the singer is going through a tin can.

I like the guitar player... reminicent of stevie ray .

Pretty tight though... enjoyed it.

Saw what you guys were covering, and automatically was excited to hear it. I agree with the trebley part, I think also some kind of distortion on the vocals would be nice. Like the guitar a lot, really nailed that. The drums are erking me a bit, I think maybe they are overly crisp. Otherwise, it sounded really well put together, very nice listen :)

-Corey

Good performances

Hey HevD

This is my first HD piece and I've seen you round the board so I was excited to hear what kind of stuff you do. I'm also a fan of the original. Great tune.

In terms of mix, the rhythm guitar sounds too loud for the rest of the mix. THe vocals are buried behind it a bit in my monitors. I would push the guit back a little bit. Songs like this need to be carried by emotional vocals, snappy drums and sweet bass, which you can hear here but only if you really listen really closely like I did. ;)

The intro drum fill is sweet. Really kicks you right into the song. Is it programmed or live?

Really good effort, but you're not done mixing to my ears...

Miles

Dan,

Great stuff!

I loved the energy of this rendition you put in to it.:)

Mix-wise, the guitar needs to come a bit closer to center in the mix and the vox needs to come up a bit with a little less verb on it to put it more in my face as this tune must be in your face, otherwise, it ain't rock and fucking roll.

The snare could also come up a bit to keep the drive coming here.

As always, you rock!

Cheers! :)

not mix related, but I think it would sound cool with an acoustic doubling the electric quietly, not so much for a doubling as the timbre, then you could darken the electric a little
just a probably meaningless random thought!

We need to jam sometime. I mean, mostly...I'd just watch and enjoy and then throw in a backup vocal now and again, but it would be fun.

Performance wise, no complaints whatsoever. This song is SOOO about energy, and I thought you nailed it...nice job. It's my fav CCR tune.

Personally, I think the mix is hot and kinda' Stereo EQ'd. Here's something that helps me (I think) with the top end...and the low end, for that matter. After I've done a mix, I like to bring it into my little WINAMP media player (any mp3 player with an adjustable EQ will work), and listen to it with one of the "Rock" or "Loudness" presets at full volume on headphones. Then A/B it with some commercial cut that's close (I know you know that part, lol...I'm typing this for some newb who might read this)...but the MP3 players with those extreme EQ settings that can be brought up immediately are really helpful, especially since you can instantly switch to the commercial cut using the same preset. I almost always find that I've let the mix get kinda' hot in the 6K region on the top...and I usually find that the bottom is really just out of control and I throw my headphones against the wall and start over, lol.

Anyway, take it or leave it...you're a helluva' player.
Chris

BTW - based on the "test" I just described, I think the low end may need a little work somewhere...I don't know where. The bass LEVEL seems okay to me, it's an EQ thing somewhere between the bass and the kick.

Or maybe not, lol....

Nice job on the bass line, btw. That's a fun fucking song.

great cover of a great song.

I think you really nailed this on a performance level. The vocals need some more bottom end....just a little too trebly...don't roll off any highs though, its not too much high end, just needs some more bottom. I agree with ghost that the guitar has just a tad too much verb...not way too much, just a tad.

great classic fender guitar tone by the way.

I wish I could do vocals like THAT!!

very enjoyable listen.

Heavy Energized......
Fine as it is for listening. All i`d do if it was mine would be add a little more kick, pull the guitar in a little. A little louder vocal with a touch of low mid.
smoove...
Ken

Mr.Hevy sir,
Great energy. Excellant guitar work! I liked the change of feel and tamb during the solo. I too would probably pull the guit back a bit or raise everything else. It must be tough singing a Fogerty tune. I have never tried and its best that I didnt. Man you would be perfect for this tune Ive got called "Fishin With the Wrong Bait". Thanks for doing an "anti-war" tune. I posted one last Feb and it went over like a lead baloon here in the clinic but was featured for two weeks on the web page of the best selling newspaper here and I got all kinds of downloads and compliments from all over the world.
un abrazo,
el jordo

Hey there -

Really liked the groove on this. The rhythm section is really smoking - nothing too flash - just nice and tight. Drives it along.

Guitar tone is a tad trebly - the recording itself sounds really "live" as a result - but maybe a tad too harsh higher up as noted above.

I would have liked to hear the lead voice with more lower-mids and bottom end to get it away out of the guitar. Maybe widening your panning would do the same thing.

There is not a lot of the upper end left on the bass itself which does sound a little murky.

Liked it a lot though!

:) Q.

Back