Pros & Newbs, Lend Me Your Ears!

lifelyrics

Training wheels on
Hi folks,
Would you please give a few minutes to listen to my new recording? I've been learning so many new things about recording, mixing, compression, tweaking reverb, etc. and I'd really appreciate your honest feedback. Even if you don't ascribe to the lyrics (gospel song), could you critique from the standpoint of things I might be able to do to improve overall sound/mix?

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7864463

Thanks so much. I'm happy to learn from any of you.

Thanks, I chose to post here instead, because I was looking for specific help on hearing more (other people's ears) of what's going on in my mix. I wasn't expecting feedback on the likability/marketability, etc. of the song.
I'm not a performer, and don't intend on marketing any of my stuff. Just trying to get better at recording and working out the final product.

p.s. the recordings I'm doing of stuff I've written is for an eventual keepsake for my kids. The process I'm going through to improve my skills is so that I can record my friends' and my kids' work with more knowledge and "polish" than I have had in the past.

NYmorningstar,
I'm so sorry to have provoked you (somehow, I got your previous post in my email). I'll spend more time in the mp3 clinic. Originally, I didn't want to put my stuff there, because I wasn't asking people to "like" my voice (or my song), because of my lack of training, etc., I was really wanting to know about the mix. There are a lot of very knowledgeable, gifted people in this forum, and I'm trying to find the best way to learn from (you) them. Thank you for taking time to listen to my song, anyway.

I am very impressed with your ear, by the way. You nailed it, noting the dropouts of the Eb in the bass line.

Thanks again for your time.

NYMorningstar has it right. This thread should be in the MP3 clinic. that's what it is there for. A place where you can post your samples, tunes, whatevers... and get comments, feedback, help, tips, pointers.... whatever you're asking for. If you don't want people to comment on the singing, then say so.

The best way to get a good response is to spend the time listening to others' posts and give them some feedback. You don't have to be knowledgeable to say whether you like it or not. Just a simple, thanks for sharing works great sometimes. Also be sure, to follow the comments and listen to what the posters are talking about. For me, this is one of the best features of this whole site; reading waht others have to say and how changes are applied.

Cool man. :)

btw: NYMorningstar wasn't giving you grief in his post, note the smiley face.

Sorry, Chili. You're the boss.
I was intimidated by this headline for the mp3 clinic:
"Do you have something worth listening to? Convert it to MP3, post it to your Web site, and tell us where we can listen to it!"
I didn't expect my song to be really "worth listening to", but I'm willing to be corrected and will post new songs there from now on. I'm truly trying to learn all I can from you guys.
I'm grateful that I got to read morningstar's comments, before he edited them because of his "long day," and appreciate his effort to be kind, and supportive, with his smiley face.
Please bear with me, guys.

Back