proper way to hook up monitors?

minofifa

Hi guys,

I think i'm going to have trouble explaining my question but i'll try...

ok, i have a set of m-audio bx5's (the little guys) to use as monitors, but when i turn the master volume up i am hearing some hiss which is throwing my mixing off. Initially i found that they had no bass response so, insted of having them receive a sound signal stright from the soundcard, i have a subwoofer (some creative 2.1 systesm) which receives the signal from the soundcard, then distributes it to the bx5's via RCA jacks. i am thinking this is causing the hiss because normally the sub sends the R and L to little speakers which are not powered, but in my new setup the same sub is feeding the R and L signals to speakers which are powered (the bx5's).

What i'm confused about is, how come both the powered bx5's and the unpowered old speakers both connect to the sub via RCA? is the sub sending a power signal to my bx5's that could be causing the hiss? if not, how were the unpowered speakers getting power (they were small but loud!)?

is there a better way i sould be setting my speakers up? perhaps i could get some splitters, and split the stereo channel from the sound card to L and R, feed each monitor its own L or R, and then recombine the signal to send to the sub? would that help?

thanks for any advice.

try the set up without the subwoofer, and see if the hiss is still there. i have the BX5's and i get the same hiss when i turn up my master volume, i think its just nature of turning up a "powered" monitor.

then again, i may be wrong.......and we both are experiencing the same problem, which i just thought was normal.

Back