Proper way of cleaning a mixer?

guitarmagic

i don't know if this is the right place to post this but i have a mackie 24/8 mixing consol. Some of the channels stoped working and one side of the master output stopped working as well. Also the first 4 buses stopped working.

This is not the first time this has happened. Last time I got it serviced. It worked for awhile than i started losing channels again. I than followed instructions on how to clean the ribbon cables with viniger and alchohol. And it worked. But now it's not working again! So is there a better way to clean the board? Even if it lasts me 6 months and i have to clean it again i'll be happy.

Thanks.

i don't know if this is the right place to post this but i have a mackie 24/8 mixing consol. Some of the channels stoped working and one side of the master output stopped working as well. Also the first 4 buses stopped working.

This is not the first time this has happened. Last time I got it serviced. It worked for awhile than i started losing channels again. I than followed instructions on how to clean the ribbon cables with viniger and alchohol. And it worked. But now it's not working again! So is there a better way to clean the board? Even if it lasts me 6 months and i have to clean it again i'll be happy.

Thanks.

You need new ribbon cables. The cleaning is not what is fixing the problem, it is the removal/re-installation process that is making the connections good again.

Those cables are the #1 problem with those boards.

i already had the cables replaced and about 6 months after it started dying again. I don't mind spending the 300$ to replace the cables but if it's just going to start dying again i don't know if its worth it.

i already had the cables replaced and about 6 months after it started dying again. I don't mind spending the 300$ to replace the cables but if it's just going to start dying again i don't know if its worth it.

If the mixer just sits in one place all the time, new cables should have solved the problem. The only other place to check is the connectors soldering to the PC board(s). There may be cracked joints. I would re-solder every pin to be sure that the soldering is solid.

Thanks.

My Mackie mixer has had problems like this. I had a 1-2 buss problem, and my effects #1 didn't work right. Even 1-8 channels sounded like crap.

I bought some contact cleaner from Lowes, and worked over some of the cables. In particular, the 3 horizontal cables that connect all' the channels together. I presume these are the main faders, the buss', and the effects.

I just hit the cable ends and the board ends, and would work the together in and out to in effect, scrub the connections clean on themselves. I did this a few times, and then with my breath, I would blow the parts dry because contact cleaner evaporates real fast.

I'd also check the rest of the cables that might be wearing on the boards solder connections. I found a cable that looked like it was almost worn to the wires. I taped that, and all is good.

My mixer is working fine now. I'm glad to have my buss' back.

Maybe i'll try that. The thing that really annoys me is the Left main output doenst work. Whether i connect speakers to the main out or studio out the left side does not work.

Maybe i'll try that. The thing that really annoys me is the Left main output doenst work. Whether i connect speakers to the main out or studio out the left side does not work.

I also worked over the other cables that were accessible on the master section all the way up to the expander card. I'd really take the time to wash the connections clean with the contact cleaner and make sure they are dry.

Also, examine the channel boards for the long solder leads that may be bent and touching. You'll know what I mean when you find them. They're towards the upper half of the board. Just take a close look.

Good luck.

If you're going to use any kind of contact cleaner, I'd recommend you use products from Caig Laboratories as I've seen and heard about residue issues with other products that pass themselves off as contact cleaners but don't work very well or very long.

I use Caig Deox-it for lighter clean up jobs and Pro Gold for the more stubborn ones.

www.caig.com

Cheers! :)

Well tonight i cleaned the mixer with contact cleaner. I went through all of the accessible ribbon cables and all of the jacks. I didn't get a chance to check all of the channels but the left output is finally working! So far so good hopefully it will last a long time.

Thanks for the help.

Back