Proper recording of sax

analog4

Hi everyone,

Please take pity on a recording newbie and help.

I would like to know how to do a better job recording sax
and other horns.

I've used Fostex and EV sm58 knock offs and have also
tried Audio Technica condenser mics, but I'm not getting
the rich sound of the instrument.
I don't think its the equipment per se, but rather the operator
and mic positioning.....
Of coures, I could be out to lunch----afterall it took me 6 months
to figure out how the gain control worked!!!!!

Thanks.

A condensor would be the way I'd go. Big diaphragm.

Since it has a big dynamic range, a compressor is pretty much necessary. Depending on what you are recording offcourse. Don't point it down the bell. Point it towards the instrument. Angle it towards the bell according to the sound you want.

Also, as a saxplayer myself (over 13 years, started lessons half a year ago...), I can also tell you that the sound is also very dependant of the player, and his abilities. I sounded pretty bad still after all these years. It's really amazing what those lessons did for my sound!

rtz studios,

I think Roel answered one of my problems----Gina has been
putting the mic almost in the bell of the sax.....
The mics are numbered AT811.

Roel,

Thanks for the tip on mic placement.

I've noticed each sax also has it's own voice.
Gina generally plays a Yamaha but we also have a silver-
plated Ekhart (circa1947) which has a totally different voice.

Interested in laying some sax overdubs???????

My sax has the worst sound ever... Still, I get somethings decent out of it with my lessons. Problem is the intonation, the middle D is sharp, and middle B and C are flat. I have to press extra keys and correct it with mouthpressure which is really hell when working on yer tone...

Hey maybe I wanna give those overdubs a try. Could be fun! Don't expect to much from my 13 years. My fingering technique is pretty good, but I'm working on alot of other things. If you want some of that harmonics stuff that doesn't really make any sense, I'm your man. I cannot control it at all at high speed, but just going crazy on the sax while overblowing is way fun. And sound fun too... hehe :( I got wrong friends. They's making me do it!!! :D

Hi Roel,

What saxes do you have--alto,tenor,baritone

If you get a chance, have a listen to some of my stuff

http://www.nowhereradio.com/geegee

Don't worry about the high speed playing---would like to
add smooth/harmonic sounds

drop me a line if you'd like to add some of your other talents
as well.

Cheers,

Get yourself a large diaphram condenser and play with mic positioning. Every time you move a few inches you'll get a different tone. Be very creative, I've even found that in a live room I can get a great sound with my back to the mic.
I would start standing 4-6 feet in front with the mic at about eye level and then alter things from there.

Thanks,
I figured Gina was standing too close.

Have you tried those large diaphram mics made by
Audio Technica or Rode??

Can't afford the real big buck ones...

AT and Rode are good. Also check out the Studio Projects C1, The Marshall range and maybe CAD.

webcyan.... no I didn't think that at all......not at any stage..... not for a second......;)

Hi Mike'

I've never used ribbon mics.
Are they expensive relative to the condenser mics we're talking about?
How would you use in this application?
I'm interested in learning.

Hi everyone,

Gina and I tried new mic positioning and recorded some tracks
on a new tune I've been working on.
I've purposely left the the sax tracks up in the mix so you can hear what's going on.--Still not right I know--but getting closer.
If you get a chance have a listen and let's discuss..

Thanks...

http://www.nowhereradio.com/geegee

Then click discography-than singles--this one is called Postcard.
I tested the download and it worked fine for me...

Position a SM57 just above the middle of the headboard. Also, position a v67 above each corner at the foot of the bed. If she doesn't know you're recording it, those little condensors on video cameras do a pretty decent job. At least that's what I've heard...:rolleyes:

Hey Lopp,

I'll try that and maybe post the mp3 to Mp3.com
The only thing is Dick Clark will probably try to start
a new craze!!!!!!!!!!

We were going for a smooth, not harsh brassy tone from the sax on our album. So we left the condenser (only had one at our disposal) out of the picture. We wound up using a SM57, and it sounds pretty nice. We put it about 6-12 inches away from the sax pointed perpendicular to the keys. Rich tone, and didn't get a whole lot of breath and finger noise either. Flat EQ as well.

Mikey

Back