Prop up / tilt back an amp

tikka308 said:
Will the wedge (link below) get it off the ground enough for recording or should I really get it up (12" +)?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/General/Accessories/Stands?sku=425900

I'm only using it for recording, so I was planning on putting it on the wedge and having it sit underneath a table that I have some misc. stuff on (mixer, monitor, etc)... If it would be better to have it ~12+" off the floor, then I'll swap that table with another one and use a chair / amp stand in lieu of the "wedge"...

If you are close micing the speaker, then the off-the-floor/on-the-floor thing won't make a lot of difference, i.e., the sound coming off the speaker will be so much louder to the mic than the room reflections that the room won't make much of a diff. I would try it on a chair or something first before spending money or putting work into building something.

Getting your amp off the floor and tilting it up toward your head makes a lot more of a diff live when you've got drums, bass, vocal mons, etc. that you're trying to hear over.

The Ultimate stand is great for tilting the amp back. An additional benefit is that they're lighting and fold up to almost nothing. I throw mine in the back of my amp when I'm not using it.

My buddy solved the problem by installing legs on the side of the amp. They're just metal pieces (specifically made for amp legs). They go back and give the amp something to lean on. I don't have a picture or have any idea where he got them, but they may be a fender product.

jfrog said:
The Ultimate stand is great for tilting the amp back. An additional benefit is that they're lighting and fold up to almost nothing. I throw mine in the back of my amp when I'm not using it.

My buddy solved the problem by installing legs on the side of the amp. They're just metal pieces (specifically made for amp legs). They go back and give the amp something to lean on. I don't have a picture or have any idea where he got them, but they may be a fender product.

If his amp is a Super, they came on the amp. Some Twins have them, too, I believe.

ggunn said:
If his amp is a Super, they came on the amp. Some Twins have them, too, I believe.

It's an old Princeton, I believe, and he added them. I think he saw them on other amps....probably the ones you mentioned.

Tilt backs do not isolate the floor noise very well. Any amp benefits greatly from being off the floor for recording. Gigging is different, satisfy yourself there. The musicians friend with the rack works best for both venues

any design you like build out of two by fours and nut bolt washers with some loctite. you will need a drill, drill bit, and a hand saw. with some planning it'll be collapsable and cost under $20.00.

M.D. said:
ggunn... would you mind telling me what the lowest setting on that stand is?
Thanks.

M.

It goes down to about one foot, I believe. I've always used it at max height, so I'm not actually sure. If you have a Guitar Center nearby, they carry the same stand (that's where I got mine), and you can see for yourself.

Big Kenny said:
Tilt backs do not isolate the floor noise very well. Any amp benefits greatly from being off the floor for recording. Gigging is different, satisfy yourself there. The musicians friend with the rack works best for both venues

But of course, there are no absolutes. Recently, I got a great sound from recording a Blues Jr. turned up BTTW lying flat on its back on a carpeted floor.

ggunn said:
But of course, there are no absolutes. Recently, I got a great sound from recording a Blues Jr. turned up BTTW lying flat on its back on a carpeted floor.

BTTW? What's that mean?

Back