pronounce "piezo"

pronounce the word "piezo"

• pee-zo (i've got to pee, zo badly)

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • pie-zo (i ate too much pie, zo i'm sick)

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • who care's, it always sounds like sh1t anyway...

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

CDT-sHaG

myself and a co-worker are discussing this...

we're having a debate, on this bored workday (he's wrong lol!!)

:D

Webster's has it as "pee-AY-zo", sometimes "PEE-eh-zo" or "pee-EH-zo" depending on the stress structure of the word it's attached to.

From the Greek "piezein", meaning "to press". Piezoelectricity is the voltage created when a crystal is squeezed-- as in those lighters that click and shoot out a spark that catches the butane.

I usually say "pee-Eh-zo". My old science teacher used to Bush-ize it into "PEE-zee-oh", which drove me nuts.

I have heard it as pie-zo.
The motorola corp started producing piezo electric tweeters in the mid 70s (first I saw em ).They are good up to about 100,000 Hz. and don't require a crossover,because they simply won't produce frequencies below their effective range.The way I understand it,they are a crystal.You can "squeeze" the crystal with a pressure wave (transducer-pickups) to get electricity out or put electricity in (tweeters) to get sound waves back.

esactun said:
Webster's has it as "pee-AY-zo", sometimes "PEE-eh-zo" or "pee-EH-zo" depending on the stress structure of the word it's attached to.

Imho that's it. Also in many languages it is written as piëzo which sounds basically like what esactun said.

Tom Hicks said:
The motorola corp started producing piezo electric tweeters in the mid 70s (first I saw em ).

Hey! That's where I work.

And we call it pee-AY-zo.

Piezoelectric transducers rock. I use them for drum triggers. They're about a buck and half at Rat Shack as opposed to $80 for a real drum trigger at a music store.

Thanks for the tip,Lopp!
I am considering getting a D4 and triggers for my drummer's crappy kit.I will check out the piezos for that application for sure.

ok..well we were both wrong..probably because we're fucking hillbillies!!! lol:D

yeeee haw!!

peeeeeeeeee--AY--zoooooo:o

Lopp said:

Piezoelectric transducers rock. I use them for drum triggers. They're about a buck and half at Rat Shack as opposed to $80 for a real drum trigger at a music store.

How exactly do you do that?

AlChuck said:
Yup. pee-AY-zo it is...

And that z is the Z as in Pizza and Pizzicato (a TS sound)

Not as in Buzz or Fizz, (a harsher than S sound).

or as in Azure (a softer, almost Geor*g*e like).

I fight the urge to say "pee-zo", because that's the way I was taught to say it. Then I heard some numbnut on TV call it a Pee Ates Oh crystal. Hehe.

Then I found out that numbnuts had looked in a dictionary, and I hadn't. :(

Mike.

mjbee... no, it's not a TS sound like pizza and pizzicato. there is only one z, therefore it is pee-ay-zo. if it were spelled "piezzo" then it would be pee-ayts-so.

Low Country said:
mjbee... no, it's not a TS sound like pizza and pizzicato. there is only one z, therefore it is pee-ay-zo. if it were spelled "piezzo" then it would be pee-ayts-so.

If it were pronounced with a z, then the pronunciation guide in the dictionary would say so. You should check it out.

Mike.

FWIW,

I work as a Diagnostic Sonographer aka Ultrasound Tech. Our physics texts and classes pronounced it "pee ay zoe".

Actually all ultrasound imaging uses manufactured piezo crystals. All my background in music paid off in ultrasound physics!

I have often wondered if any of the high dollar medical piezo trancducers would be an improvement to or worse than what is currently in use for musical instruments.

There are extremely high manufacturing standards for the ultrasound ones. From what we were told 80% of the manufactured crystals are rejected and melted down again.
Something called PZT (acronym) if I remember right.

Most of the tranducers we use start at $5,000 to $10,000 per tranducer and work in the 3 - 10 Megahertz range.

More than you wanted to know I am sure but its something actually have a good working knowledge about:rolleyes:

Back