Progressive Rock - Suggestions Please

kikkis

Okay I haven't visited these boards very much lately, but I'd like to share a tune I've been working on for a bit.
Suggestions welcomed and encouraged obviously.
Thanks in advance.
More Like a Curse

Nice guitar sounds - sharp and lots of bite, just a bit of chunk. Good lead vocals - clean and sitting nicely in the mix. Amazing vocal range that blends nicely with the equally hot lead guitars. Nice panning effect on the vocals L/R. Middle part gives it a whole other feel - nice change up. Cool leads.....
Cool last part with the backward vocals - unique. Excellent progressive rock tune......enjoyed this a lot!

Well it certainly is a great tune. Great playing. Drummer knows how to complement a song with his beats. GREAT SINGER. What a rang? I don't even enjoy this style of music that much and I'm very much digging this song. Cool panning vocal effects. Only thing I complain about on the vocals is how not in your face the vocals sound normally (not panned). Also vocals are a bit dry. As well as snare. I'd add a bit of verb to each, but do not over do it. Guitars are great, not as in your face as I would ask for in this style of music, but clear, dry, tight and punchy. Also in some of the quiet parts there is some noise in the mix. I think its coming from a guitar track that is just amp noise or something... not sure. I'm unfortunately listening on crap headphones so I can't say much about bass or bass drum. Again great drumming, very nice production. Could use a little bit of work to make it sound totally pro but sounds great right now. Its actually good enough that "pro sound" is your next step.

Ben

This reminds me of early dream theatre (before they started sucking). The guitar playing/drums are right on. The vocals don't seem to be meshing as well as they could. I would try making them a little wetter with verb or even a small delay. No real complaints otherwise.

Good mix, great sounding, vocal a bit dry for me :o
Good playing, sorry exelent playing and preformance :cool:

Reminds me of Rush, and at sometimes, early magnum, specially the vox.

good arrangment.

Defenitive prog.

great work man :)

Nice playing...agree with the earlier Dream Theater comparison...really like the guitar tone.Vocals are a bit dry....cool song,I really enjoyed this!

Thanks for the responses... I've uploaded a new version with a few different guitar and synth overdubs. Also added more reverb to the voacl and snare... too much?
Thanks for the playing compliments.

Here's the Link again

emergencyexit, on the topic of the 'pro sound'... is this a mixing thing we're talking about? All the compressors and effects are plugins, there's no eq on anything except a slight scoop on the kick drum. We intend to take this to an engineer who knows what they're doing to mix it, I'm putting mixes together so we can give him an idea on what we want...

Nakatira, you have an awesome avatar...
Here's the one I usually use , though it's too big for the home recording bbs.

More Feedback anyone?

Attachments

• smash.gif
    smash.gif
    48.7 KB · Views: 61
I love it. The vocals could really use a double on the "chorus", just to set it apart from the first verse. I agree the vox could use a little more ambience. I think the drums and bass could come up a little more.

I'm not hearing RUSH but more DT and Tull. Fantastic writing and arranging, really top notch. In fact I think this smokes about anything I've heard from DT.

The drummer makes me want to quit playing and open a hot dog stand. Good stuff, if not exactly up my alley.

I really liked this. Vocals do sound a lot like James Labrey or whatever his name is. Good mix and sounds. Good composition as well.

Fantastic playing. Great sounding recording. This obviously took a lot of work.

And although the guitars are a HUGE part of this music, I think that the playing is so good all around, it could use a more balanced mix. I would have to say that this mix is a 'guitar-centric' mix. I realize that much music is mixed that way, and that it may be perfectly appropriate to this music as well. Just my two cents worth after listening on so-so computer monitors.

Great job. I wouldn't mind learning where, and on what kind of gear, this was done on (recording gear, that is--mics, pres, medium, whatnot).

kikkis said:
Thanks for the responses... I've uploaded a new version with a few different guitar and synth overdubs. Also added more reverb to the voacl and snare... too much?
Thanks for the playing compliments.

Here's the Link again

emergencyexit, on the topic of the 'pro sound'... is this a mixing thing we're talking about? All the compressors and effects are plugins, there's no eq on anything except a slight scoop on the kick drum. We intend to take this to an engineer who knows what they're doing to mix it, I'm putting mixes together so we can give him an idea on what we want...

Nakatira, you have an awesome avatar...
Here's the one I usually use , though it's too big for the home recording bbs.

More Feedback anyone?

Oh man thats so sweet.

I love that concert "Cali jam" Especially when Dave Coverdale shouts You gotta love you gotta love him, after Ritchie has blown up the amps.

There some great guitar heroish stuff on your track as well.
after a few more listens I think the Vox reminds a bit of geddy lee, as well.
From the stuff I`ve heard he uses quite dry vox as well. :cool:

Guitar sounds is very cool, slightly vintage, a few cents Moderen, and a hint of genuinity.
Very cool.

as for you liking my avatar you must be a heck of a guy :D
Ritchie Blackmore is one of my biggest Idols :)

On a more important note, I live by prog, most of my record collection is prog, and you really have got a prog classic on your hands.

congrats.
thanks for sharing :)

I enjoyed this tune. I heard Tool, Rush and Tull.

The guitar playing is great! The tone of the guitars I liked very much epecially in the intro section!

I am going back for another listen....thanx for sharing kikkis! :)

Nakatira said:
Oh man thats so sweet.

I love that concert "Cali jam" Especially when Dave Coverdale shouts You gotta love you gotta love him, after Ritchie has blown up the amps.

There some great guitar heroish stuff on your track as well.
after a few more listens I think the Vox reminds a bit of geddy lee, as well.
From the stuff I`ve heard he uses quite dry vox as well. :cool:

Guitar sounds is very cool, slightly vintage, a few cents Moderen, and a hint of genuinity.
Very cool.

as for you liking my avatar you must be a heck of a guy :D
Ritchie Blackmore is one of my biggest Idols :)

On a more important note, I live by prog, most of my record collection is prog, and you really have got a prog classic on your hands.

congrats.
thanks for sharing :)

I Keep swallowing flies up here! That concert pretty much sums up my influences - Glen Hughes and his crazy high vocals, and Ritchie's classical/blues licks. Bloody superb.

superprohero, the name of the band is Template, we're from Australia... Here's our website and Incanus, the main bulk of the stuff was recorded to an Australian made Optro 2" 16 track recorder, with Avalon and Digi pre's. The vocals were sung into a Rode (more Aussie gear) Classic-II. There's a bit of the fantastic Native Instruments' Guitar Rig for a few overdubs, and a Roland SynthPlus 60 (basically a Juno with speakers, right?)

good song.. drummer is real good.. the vocals are really small sounding in some areas.. the mix lacks some impact and polish imop.. sounds a bit like Dream Theatre.. good tune.. every now and then the bass frequencies clash with the guitar.. good guitar! excellent stuff I'm just not crazy about the overall mix.. great musicians and the singer too.. the backwards ending wasn't needed imop.. good listen!

kikkis said:
I Keep swallowing flies up here! That concert pretty much sums up my influences - Glen Hughes and his crazy high vocals, and Ritchie's classical/blues licks. Bloody superb.

superprohero, the name of the band is Template, we're from Australia... Here's our website and Incanus, the main bulk of the stuff was recorded to an Australian made Optro 2" 16 track recorder, with Avalon and Digi pre's. The vocals were sung into a Rode (more Aussie gear) Classic-II. There's a bit of the fantastic Native Instruments' Guitar Rig for a few overdubs, and a Roland SynthPlus 60 (basically a Juno with speakers, right?)

Glenn Hughes Rock man, I love his vox on the Purple stuff.
He`s voice is just so clean and he has a stunning vibrato, and combined with coverdale they had a really varied vox combo.

Ps. I loved the suit he`s wearing on cali jam so much, I had it Tailor made for my self :D
So when there is a sweet rocking occasion the suit comes out :cool:

Really cool stuff, man again.
Australia is rockin big time.

cheers mate :)

Snare is great now, perfect and just the way I would do it. Guitars now dominate this mix a bit, which is very big, I would take it down a bit, but not much and not always if you know what I mean. I still have big problems with the vocals. Hopefully its not my headphones, but sometimes It sounds like the mic used to record the vocals had a bit too harsh of an upper mid range for this vocalist, some of the higher notes he hits with his incredible range are kind of piercing. I'm not a fan of the dry vox sound. I do still love that doubling thing you did in some parts of the song. What I'd do is add verb to the undoubled parts and leave the doubled clean. Good idea? Bad idea...?

Ben

Back