programs wont respond after inst. usb MIDI cable software!!

smythology

Well, the people at PCPitstop.com won't answer so I thoought I'd give you guys a try....

I've dabbled with Cakewalk recording software for a couple weeks with no problems. This was before I decided to buy a USB MIDI interface cable for my keyboard...

And ever since I tried to install this MIDI interface cable through a USB connection (since Friday) I've been getting these problems with programs not loading.

I worked with Cakewalk before I did this installation with no problems, but after installing this cable, Cakewalk would not load. I would dble-click it and it just wouldn't come up (though it would be listed in my task manager). So I'd go to my task manager and shut it down but that would just crash my computer.

But to make matters worse, this problem now won't make my CREATIVE sound software load...specifically my Creative Recorder which I use frequently. They would still be listed in the task manager as if it was running...but then I would try to 'end program' and my system would crash.

Well, I uninstalled the midi software and my Cakewalk. Then I uninstalled the Creative software and reinstalled it (because I need that)...and I STILL get this problem! Even though the MIDI software was long gone by then. So, obviously, the MIDI installation left some sort of a bug which I can't find.

Though on the first uninstallation of the Creative software, I didn't uninstall the Window drivers. Maybe I will tonite.

I did a test of my system and it just said to defrag C:/ (which I do once a week). But no other problems found.

God, I can't stand USB installations! They always seem to cause problems. I must've restarted my computer 20 times Friday night. Next time I'm going to get a MIDI cable that goes right into the 15-pin sound card.

Any help? Thanks

robin

"Will Rogers never owned a PC."

First off...
what midi interface?
What Cakewalk software?
What are you're computer specs?

From what you describe,it sounds like something bigger than Cakewalk got mucked up.
Do you use this computer for other purposes than recording?

Yeah, it's the only computer I have and I do use it for a lot of other stuff. And yes, other things hang as well besides Cakewalk, and Creative Live.

The interface :Turtle Beach USB MIDI Cable (refurbished)
software: Cakewalk 9.03 (from like 2001)
specs: 98SE, 800mhz, 4yrs old, 100GB (two drives)

I'm not rich yet...

I had a comparable setup awhile back and had no problems running it,midi is a very small cpu hit.
I can't speak to the turtle beach interface though,that you may want to investigate further.

And yes, other things hang as well besides Cakewalk, and Creative Live
Knowing that and the fact you have 98se would only lead me to think bad things. :(
I would just try uninstall/reinstall of the programs in question,and if you keep having problems...gulpperhaps a reinstall of the OS.

Perhaps you'll get a less painful reply,I'm just drawing off my memories of 98. :(

If you get it going,you'll have a useful tool to work with.

smythology said:
Thanks. Could you give me a simple rundown of reinstalling the OS?
I'm recommending getting another opinion or two before you do that...it's a pretty drastic step if you're not too computer savvy.

Back