Programming Panning Sweeps Cubase Sx

fluxburn

I use Cubase Sx 2, the effect I am going for is panning. Exactly what I am looking for; A way to create the effect of a sound that sweeps the phrase of the sound (for instance 600ms) and go from left to right with the sound(being smooth might I add).

Possibly there are just limits to Cubase's panning abilities? It would also be nice to not only control the x plane(left to right 2d) but also a y plane (up and down 2d) a z plane(front back 3d) would also be nice.

I find that if I manual sweep the panning from my analog mixer I have at least more control with the panning then in cubase. Maybe that is because I am using a stero track and I should try a mono track instead. Possibly there is a setting I am missing in cubase to adjust the panning sensitivity? I don't really feel the full effect of the panning in cubase, it feels like 80% of the actual panning field

Cant you do this where you can automate volume and everything? Ehrtr it says volume on the automate channel click that and you will all the other things you can automate. You can automate just about anything,

Yeah, I am aware of that. I read the manual a bit and found out that cubase sx has a built in 3d panner plugin, I will try that. Maybe I just need to spend a lot more time fiddling with it to get the results I want.

Line Tool

In Cubase SX 2, open the Pan automation track sub-track on the track you are mixing. Next in the toolbar select the little black arrow (or right-click, I can't remember) just to the right of the line tool and select the zig-zag pattern. Now, click on the Pan automation track where you what the panning to start and drag the line tool (with the zig-zag selected) across the track. If all goes well this should give you the smooth panning effect you desire.

As for the Z axis effect. Humm, with a left/right stereo field I think the best you can do is to automate the volume like the pan above, just not as extreme. This will give the effect of forward/backward motion. However, this is only a "trick" and will take some trail-and-error. For a more natural effect you may want to mix in 5.1 surroud, which I believe Cubase SX 2 supports.

Good luck and happy mixing!

Hum, I will try the volume trick. Well lets just say I guess my ears wern't as good then as they are now because I can here the panning quite well now. Yah I drew in some automation and it sounded great. Is there anyway to rig up a joystick as a controller?

Back