programming drums with buttons

rxQueen

hi. i've always been programming my drum tracks with Fruity loops and my mouse. i figured it's really time consuming and my creativity generally gets limited. is there a program/machine whatever out there that I can record drums by pressing buttons or hitting on something? so like snares for one button, cymbal for another, hi hats for another, kick drums for another button, etc. it'll be great if i can assign each drum to keys on the keyboard

thanks

Yep, a midi controller, midi capable drumset, or a midi keyboard/drum machine is what you need. Midi sends signals and trigger samples on your pc. It can pretty much trigger any sample as long as you set it to in the midi output.

I will let other chime in here on this tho, because I am just getting into midi myself.

The Alesis D4 and DM5 units (drum soundsources with External Trigger Inputs and a Trigger to MIDI Interface) seem about the cheapest way to get Percussion parts played into the Computer.

If you have one of these units, along with a MIDI Interface to connect MIDI to the PC, then you can either make your own Electronic Pads or buy them ( at this point, you can build a brand new electronic drum for about $20 or so - the actual Triggering Element is a Piezo Disc (an Electronic Buzzer/Doorbell) that can be purchased for under $3 depending upon the size that you buy.

So, an electric Drum pad that sells for $150 actually has about $6 worth of electronic parts in it - the Piezo Element and the Jack - and these can turn anything, and I do mean anything, into an electric drum.

You can build a complete "Rack" 5-piece electric set for about $250 (using PVC pipe to build the rack, and including electric cymbals - made from Frisbee's with a piezo disc glued underneath!)

Tim

Mr. Brown. where have you been all my life?! I'm totally fixed on the idea of triggering samples and crap live and could never ditch out the cake for the hitech pads and midi brains.

For future reference, after I aquire a Alesis controller and build my own triggers, what would it take to trigger custom samples from the kit live without a computer? A sampler midi linked to the D4? Just curious, I'm not a drummer or a keyboard geek I'm kinda lost with this stuff.

I can't wait to make this kit happen, I've D4's for about $300 cdn.

bileshake said:
Mr. Brown. where have you been all my life?! I'm totally fixed on the idea of triggering samples and crap live and could never ditch out the cake for the hitech pads and midi brains.

For future reference, after I aquire a Alesis controller and build my own triggers, what would it take to trigger custom samples from the kit live without a computer? A sampler midi linked to the D4? Just curious, I'm not a drummer or a keyboard geek I'm kinda lost with this stuff.

I can't wait to make this kit happen, I've D4's for about $300 cdn.

Look on line, there are all sorts of sites about building your own electronic drums.

There's a Yahoo club you can join. All electric drum pads work virtually the same way, some designs work better than others. You can convert a Remo Practice pad into an electric drum for under $10 in electronic parts (a trigger, and a jack), and a drill. :D

ddrum pads, and V-drum pads all use the same parts, but with just different ways to mount the piezo element. I got into electronic drums back in the 80's with a Pearl and Simmons electic kit. I picked the pearl set up used, and the first thing I did was tear one of the toms apart to see how it worked! LOL!

You can not imagine my shock to find that I was beating on a piece of paneling with rubber on one side and a trigger glued underneath it. No wonder we all had wrist problems from playing on those things! :eek: It was like hitting a desk.

If you want to trigger a sampler - stay away from the Alesis units. They are fine for triggering the internal sounds, but the actual Trigger to Midi Processor is really slow. I learned the hard way.
I would suggest either a Ddrum or v-drum sound module with TMI for that.
The ddrum (I use a ddrum 2) is the fastest trigger to MIDI converter on the market, but the V-drum is close behind. The ddrum leaves the Trigger in the analog domain, while the V-drum units convert to digital right away....and this conversion is what causes the V-drum's processing to be a hair slower.

Look for them on E-bay. I picked up my ddrum2 for $400, and the sounds within it are incredible as far as I'm concerned - it sounds exactly like a drumkit. I also use it to trigger a Yamaha A3000 Rackmount Sampler.

You can pick up used Sampler's for virtually nothing on E-bay - everybody is dropping them now that they can Sample on a PC. (for my purposes - I prefer the rackmounted sampler, I've got the sampler and the ddrum2 unit in a rack, along with a few other rack pieces...)

I'll get you some links for DIY electric drum sites, and post them here. (I have a list of them on another HD... my PC crashed a few weeks ago and my main HD bit the dust, so I can't just copy and paste them.

Tim

Last edited:
that kicks ass,
thanks Tim.

I've seen some simple triggers on ebay, a little red pad and a little goose neck connected to a jack that clips to the side of an acoustic drum. They were like $50 for four toms and a kick trigger. I like the idea of the remo practice pad, those should be pretty cheap to pick up.

DIY Electronic Drum links

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/DIYedrums/
This is an awesome group. You'll learn a lot.

http://davebales.com/edrum/index.php
Dave Bales' site on building an E-drum. Note that this can be done with a Standard drum - there's no need to cut the drumshell. This is what I'm doing with my kit. He was having problems with the vibrations of the head with his PM16 - I believe it's the PM16 and not the E-drum he built. Th PM16 is a really old Roland TMI, and it was made before any of the Mesh headed E-drums were around. He could probably have put a Remo Muff'l under the Mesh head, and that would have killed any of the head's excessive vibrations without destroying the feel of it.

http://www.derksens.com/Beatnik_mirror.htm
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_articles/diydrumpad.htm

http://www.electronicdrums.com/
This group costs $20 to Join for a year, but it's well worth the price. Actually, if you're really into this - It's $35 for a lifetime membership. I joined for a year, but my subscription ran out and I don't have the extra cash to sign up again (at least not for a while. I'm going to be moving soon. So I'm saving every penny for that.) But when I do join again, It will be the lifetime membership.

Tim

Back