Programming Drums for the Boss BR-1600CD: A Primer

musiclover1966

Just wanted to let everyone know I finally finished an application note up on my website on how to program the BR-1600CD drum machine. I've had a lot of people ask me for this application note because they couldn't understand the user's manual. Hopefully this app note will help.

The application note that includes audio examples can be found on http://www.topsoundproductions.com under the section titled "Application Notes".

Gene

musiclover1966 said:
Just wanted to let everyone know I finally finished an application note up on my website on how to program the BR-1600CD drum machine. I've had a lot of people ask me for this application note because they couldn't understand the user's manual. Hopefully this app note will help.

The application note that includes audio examples can be found on http://www.topsoundproductions.com under the section titled "Application Notes".

Gene

I am going to have a look at your application notes now musiclover. I find with a little messing around you can program some fine drum tracks using the Boss 1600, I am currently going through and trying to come up with some drum tracks for a tune I am working on. However I do find it not as straight forward as it is on the Boss series of drum machines, eg: DR550 etc.

Great article.

What I've done to make the process a little bit easier is to hook up a M-Audio Axiom 25 midi controller to the BR-1600CD. It allows me a little bit more control when recording drum patterns in real time, especially with rolls and fills. It also makes recording bass patterns much easier. Any midi controller would work but the Axiom has drum pads as well.

I've also noticed, that I can play along with the drum track. To record it, I would have to bounce the drum track, but it might be an interesting way to give the drums a little more of a "human" feel. For example, program the bass drum and play the kit otherwise. I haven't tried this yet, but I think it has possibilities.

Joe.

I want to register my thanks for this. It is quality and much, much simpler than the Boss manual to understand.

Superb work my friend, thanks again.

:D :D :D

Back