and the triton. I keep reading that the sequencer on the
motif is harder to use. Is there any sort of grid system that
they use for putting in drum beats. I'm used to the older
Roland format. Its a hard choice between the triton and the
motif.. I played with them both.. like the motif sounds better
but found the triton a lil easier to navigate... I guess one
couldn't really lose with either board.. thanks for any help

modrums

the sequencer on the motif is limitless in it's possibilities, though there is not a matrix like you described for inputting notes, there is a groove matrix where you can control all sorts of different parameters like groove, shuffle, note length, ect...im sure once you get accustomed to the navigation, you'd be up to speed with the motif sequencer.

However, using a keyboard sequencer as apposed to a computer sequencer is very tedious and can take 10 times as long to produce the results you can get with a computer sequencer. if you have a computer with a usb port, spend the time to learn cubase, pro tools, logic, or sonar...you will not regret it and your music will be better.

Hey Guys,
Im in the market for one of the two as well. Ive heard about the tediousness of programming drums in the keyboard sequencers. I record w/ a stand alone recorder, so i dont plan on using a computer sequencer. What is it that makes programing drums on the board so tedious. .......as apposed to a drum machine, which is what im using now. (Dr770)

thanks a bunch in advance.......

g

sequencing

sequencing drums on a computer is better because you can easily program separate velocities for every note (which will result in a more natural sound) plus you can use various types of quantising to shift the feel of the drums around to get the perfect feel for your song. plus, tweaking automation is as easy as click and drag.
Have you ever felt limited in any way sequencing with a hardware sequencer? If so then computer sequencing is for you...anything is possible, in half the amount of time :) for me is has changed the way i approach making music...now i can very quickly execute an idea and have it turn out exactly how i imagined.

though it has taken a while to get there...but woth the time.

Back