professional vocals question

brothathatcares

I have a question...

I record rap and hip-hop music. About a year ago my recordings were clear, the vocals sounded professional and very natural. I was using the Shure KSM32 which is a great mic. All I had to do was roll-off the bass and boost the vocal track at about 6 khz, and I had lush clear vocals.

But suddenly, my vocals started sounding "honky" and had a "telephone-like" quality to them. I was using the same exact procedure and the same settings that I always used. Also, because I was recording the same people, I figured that there was something wrong with the microphone. So, I went out and bought the Audio Technica 4050 after hearing audio clips of the mic in action and after hearing good reviews.

Well, that didn't work.... my recordings still sound "honky" and "telephone-like"
unless the singer sings or speaks very softly--almost whispering.

I use the PreSonus TubePre preamplifier to record... and I'm guessing that my preamp might be the problem.... perhaps it has worn out, because my recordings used to sound good. I tried using my Mbox preamp but my vocals still sound too thin and telephone-like.

Somebody help me!!!

I need my natural sounding vocals back!!!

was the mic in the same room, and in the same place?

were you in the same position that you were before in relation to the mic?

i've done vocal sessions before where i've gotten a really good vocal sound worked out...then the "talent" decided to walk around a little...and guess what? when he came back, the sound i was getting was nowhere NEAR what it was just 5 mins. before, and nothing else in the signal path had changed.

assuming that the rest of the signal path isn't fucked up in some other way, mic positioning is the #1 suspect when it comes to tracking vox

Q: was the mic in the same room, and in the same place?

A:yes (Sorry, I have no idea how to insert quotes)

Q:were you in the same position that you were before in relation to the mic?

A:to the best of my knowledge, yes

Q: was the mic in the same room, and in the same place?

A:yes (Sorry, I have no idea how to insert quotes)

Q:were you in the same position that you were before in relation to the mic?

A:to the best of my knowledge, yes

Theres a quote button below each post that says Quote. Idk about your pre, but if it actually has a tube..idk maybe it needs to be replaced...that might sound really dumb if there is no tube in it..but thats the only thing i can think of...or as you said, something in your chain has worn out.

Theres a quote button below each post that says Quote. Idk about your pre, but if it actually has a tube..idk maybe it needs to be replaced...that might sound really dumb if there is no tube in it..but thats the only thing i can think of...or as you said, something in your chain has worn out.

the presonus tubepre is a starve plate design, it's got a knob to dial in the tube (like the VTB-1), so it's not a real tube.

he can get clean signal by not dial in any tube.

Well, it seems like you've eliminated just about all of the possible variables (I'm assuming you've tested the cables?) ... and you're now down to your audio interface. Sounds to me like your M-box is fucked. Time to get it checked out and put the customer service guys to work.

you have 2 really nice mics and you're running them through 2 really shitty mic pres...go and buy a decent mic pre that'll justify the microphones.

Have the backing tracks changed? You could have other stuff playing in the same range as the parts of the vocals and masking the good stuff, leaving the honk. Just another idea.

Have the backing tracks changed? You could have other stuff playing in the same range as the parts of the vocals and masking the good stuff, leaving the honk. Just another idea.

That's definitely a good idea!!! I have to go back and listen to my backing tracks to see if that is the problem

how much and where did you cut the lows and how much did you boost at 6khz? if you cut the lows, try it at < or = to 140hz first, if you cut too much higher than that, it may have contributed to the telephone sound. also, did you use a "bell" (shape of the curve like this: /\ on a graphic) type eq at 6khz or a shelf type which would look something like this on a graphic:
_____
/
6khz 8khz 10khz

how much and where did you cut the lows and how much did you boost at 6khz? if you cut the lows, try it at < or = to 140hz first, if you cut too much higher than that, it may have contributed to the telephone sound. also, did you use a "bell" (shape of the curve like this: /\ on a graphic) type eq at 6khz or a shelf type which would look something like this on a graphic:
_____
/
6khz 8khz 10khz

I always use shelving and I cut anywhere between 80hz to 200hz and boost about 3db at anywhere between 5khz-7khz... this method has always worked for me, and I always use the same method... which is why I think that something in my chain has messed up.

I know that it isn't the microphone because both mics are fairly new and have never been dropped, also they are both good quality mics.

My microphone cables are new- I got neutrik cables...

I think it may be the preamp.... but I don't wanna go buy another preamp if the preamp isn't the problem

sure-- capacitors, transformers and other components can wear out, but i think it's more likely that you have a bad tube first. newer cheap production tubes tend to have poor quality control and shorter life spans than good nos tubes.

Maybe your ears have gotten better. Have you actually played back some of your old tracks on your current gear?

He's already tried two different mic pres, and gets the same results.

I doubt it's the mic pre ... however sucky it may be. :D

Say, I was thinking of changing my name to "brothathatdontgiveashit." Would that be okay?

Back