Professional Recordings

Stavencrows

Hi,

I've got a song mixed using my sound card (Yamaha SW1000XG) and I'm quite happy with it but I was wondering. If I wanted a professional recording studio to make the mix "perfect" how would I go about it? I mean, for a band you lug your equipment over and play but in this case I've got a load of MIDI files on a computer and a load of voice samples I'm quite fond of. What's the normal way of allowing someone in a studio to get their hands on my mix?

Should this post should go in PC recording forum? Anyway I've been reading around this forum and here's my first question. Sorry, I'd like to have posted more replies but I'm too inexperienced at the moment but I'm learning a LOT from this place!

Thanks(did that make sense?) :confused:

Better yet, you could actually round up a bunch of real musicians, and have them play your stuff for you. And record it. With a real engineer.

That would be pretty sweet.

Blue Bear does some pretty nice mixing from tracks he's never heard before also, so I understand (hint, wink, nudge). ;)

Chessrock said:
Better yet, you could actually round up a bunch of real musicians, and have them play your stuff for you. And record it. With a real engineer.

I'd love to do that but most of my songs have string but for the bass + drums definitely. Or I could hire an orchestra too :)

Massive Master said:
Blue Bear does some pretty nice mixing from tracks he's never heard before also, so I understand (hint, wink, nudge). ;)
I'll make sure I remember that

A dream of mine is to someday have my own set of timpani's..... use em as toms....

Or just abuse them and put some thunderous percussion in every song whether it's appropriate or not.

That would be so cool.

Have you joined the SW1000XG group:

http://www.sw1000xg.com/main.jsp

It's not very active anymore, most people have moved on; but I still think it's a cool card--someday I might actually really learn to use it!

With the SW you can either record the stereo mix off the card via Wav in #2, or you can send audio out on 6 stereo Wav outs, for a total of 12 tracks. So if you wanted to export more than 12 MIDI tracks to discrete .wav files, I'm pretty sure you'll have to transfer them in groups and synch up in your software.

But check the archive of that group, this was discussed a dozen times in 2000 and 2001.

Also get the Advanced User Guide here:

http://www.yamaha.co.uk/eurohome/library/sw1000xg/swbook_e.pdf

Best thing to do is call or e-mail a studio you're interested in, tell them your situation, what system you're running, and ask them what you'd need to do before going in to their facility. They probably won't step you through the process but they can tell you something like render seperate audio track files (WAV, AIFF, etc) on such-and-such medium (CD-R, DVD, etc).

Asking is much easier than guessing then finding out you booked time only to go in with incompatible files.

--Adam Lazlo

mshilarious said:
I still think it's a cool card--someday I might actually really learn to use it!

Yeah, I love it - for a non-professional it's got all I need. It's a nightmare using it with Cubase though - took me ages to learn how to set it up. I've not joined the SW1000XG group though - will do that. Thanks.

analogelectric said:
Asking is much easier than guessing then finding out you booked time only to go in with incompatible files.

That's what I love about this site - I really should have thought about these things myself before posting but people are still prepared to help out.

My Korg 01/W FD (old school 90s baby!) has a patch call "Orchestral Percussion". The lower half of the keys are a bunch of Timpanis, then some big crash cymbals (the kind where you hold two together and bang them together, like in 5th grade band!) and the rest are big bell chimes (or something like that). But the timpanis kick a*s!

mattamatta said:
A dream of mine is to someday have my own set of timpani's..... use em as toms....

Or just abuse them and put some thunderous percussion in every song whether it's appropriate or not.

That would be so cool.

The word "perfect" is an extremely subjective one. Everyone has their own idea of what perfect is, and believe me, they'll tell ya.

Back