Production choices in indie pop/rock music

a01

I have a question about choosing and combining sounds and effects on instruments in a song. It's more about production than about mixing, but i didn't find that category here.

I'm a song writer and said my band goodbye to write and record a solo record, completely on my own.
I have a lot to learn and it will take a lot of time before i'll have some decent results but in the end i'll get where i want.
It's kind of a lonely life like this so this will not be my last post on this forum :).

I listen a lot to a few albums i really like, to learn from it (i analyse the sound and how it's mixed and try to find out what kind of gear they used).

One of those records is Wu Lyf - Go Tell Fire to the Mountain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmEaC4297SM

This song is one of their best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca9rBWTyuU0

I tried to produce one of my songs in this style (i mean: clean Twin reverb guitars, reverb drums, reverb organ, dirty reverb vocals, clean bass), but there's one problem:

I'm female, and i used to have a really cool sounding hoarse voice (i don't know if that's the right way to say this), but i tortured my voice for years by speaking and singing and breathing the wrong way and now it's a risk to sing on stage and these days i can only sing softly through a mic in my room and have good results, but it sounds clean and not very rock 'n roll anymore.

If i combine my voice with clean guitars and an organ i suddenly sound like some bad local pop band :facepalm:.

I can solve this by using dirty guitars instead of clean.

But clean guitars with a lot of reverb can sound so cool.

So what would you do/add/change to make my music sound cool/dirty with clean guitars?

Thanks in advance for your creative suggestions! :-)

It appears that the problem you are having with your overall song sound is your vocals, so the simple answer would be to find a 'guest' vocalist to do those tracks for you.

I can solve this by using dirty guitars instead of clean.

But clean guitars with a lot of reverb can sound so cool.

So what would you do/add/change to make my music sound cool/dirty with clean guitars?

How about a distortion/saturation plugin? Decapitator, or Saturn for example.

tough to answer without hearing one of your samples so we can hear what you sound like in the context of the song. Post something with your voice.

Back