processor problems

CavityCr33p

I have been running a p3 1ghz on a Asus dual cpu board with no problems. I went ahead today and added a second 733mhz p3 into the system and most the recording programs are freaking out, doing weird stuff and giving me errors

Tracktion gives me a cpu overload error and completely freeze.

Audition was flaking out when trying it on the adobe default intro session.

I had no problems before the cpu. I checked the temps and they are fine. Running xp pro as the OS.

I know that some recording programs dont take advantage of the dual cpu setup, but I didnt think that they would break at the site of a 2nd?

any thoughts?

Most Dual processors machines i have seen , require that the processors be the same speed. so you may need to try to clock to clock the 1gig down or replace the 733.... that might help..... you should also check to make sure that the software your using will take advantage ( as in multiple threads) of you second processor. ( if not it shouldnt be causing glitching errors though.) Also I assume that you are using either windows 2k pro or Windows XP pro... Xp home will only use one processor.

Randy

I always thought they had to match too, but i had read recently they dont.

XP pro is what im running and it seems to be fine within the OS, its just within those programs ive noticed.

Guitar rig seems to be fine.

what is the chipset..... I have NEVER seen any chipset that could handle differently clocked processors ( at least as far as the x86 architecture is concerned) ....seriously ....not trying to doubt you..

Randy

Here is a link on the Intel site explaining that they have to be the same model and the same family ( to ensure that they are the same speed etc. read number 2) Intel SIte

The Asus site is SLOW!!!. i'll see if I can find any different info there for you.

Randy

Back