Processor gurus: i5-2500K w/32Gb or i7-4700MQ w/16Gb?

Kwall

Hello,
I'm putting together a PC based (probably Pro Tools) DAW, mostly from what I have on hand. I'll most often be working "in the box", but I won't be over 16 tracks and only a few (?) plugins.

The two newest/best PCs I have to choose from are an Intel tower with a i5-2500K, 3.3 GHz, 4C/4T w/32Gb RAM or a HP Envy Laptop with a i7-4700MQ, 2.4 GHz, 4C/8T w/16Gb RAM.

Would the i5 actually perform better? Not only is base faster but it can be overclocked, and more RAM available. And while the i7 has 4 more Threads, it's slower, can't be overclocked and the RAM is maxed.

I will also be buying a new USB interface. Current 1st choice is the Focusrite 18i8....(any other suggestions?).

Thank you for sharing your time, knowledge and experience.

Kwall

Hi,
I suppose it depends what OS and software version you're going for, maybe, but broadly speaking I think either setup should be more than capable of what you describe.
If you planned dozens of tracks or virtual instruments with big libraries, or lots of intense plugins, it might be different,
but for relatively simple recording and basic processing the machine requirements aren't really a big deal any more.

Maybe other factors could inform your decision. Do you have other hobbies or intended uses for this machine?
The i7 uses about half the power of the i5. Maybe that's a consideration?

Some applications are ram hungry. Some are single-core intense and favour clock speed.
Others thrive with many cores.
For sixteen or so tracks with modest plugins I think either machine should probably be fine. (y)

Hi, I suppose it depends what OS and software version you're going for, maybe, but broadly speaking I think either setup should be more than capable of what you describe. If you planned dozens of tracks or virtual instruments with big libraries, or lots of intense plugins, it might be different, but for relatively simple recording and basic processing the machine requirements aren't really a big deal any more. Maybe other factors could inform your decision. Do you have other hobbies or intended uses for this machine? The i7 uses about half the power of the i5. Maybe that's a consideration? Some applications are ram hungry. Some are single-core intense and favour clock speed. Others thrive with many cores. For sixteen or so tracks with modest plugins I think either machine should probably be fine. (y)
Hi Steenamaroo,

Thank you for the reply. I'll be using Win10 and this will be a dedicated music production machine. The more I learn I think I'm going to go with the i5 tower but upgrade the processor. It looks like I can go with the i7-2700K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache as a plug & play kind of upgrade. Dirt cheap too ($89, I can do the work). That way I avoid the noise from the laptop fan and I'll have more RAM. FWIW - I've also learned that I can't overclock due to my mobo (DH67CL). But it looks like I won't have to.

I'm dipping my toes in Film/TV (cues, trailers, etc.) but will still want to record a live band. With the 18i8 and an ADA8000 I should be able to go 16 track.

May I ask what DAW you use and why? I was on the verge of jumping to Mac/Logic but due to cost and the fact I'm just not an "Apple" person I decided to stay PC. And while all but settled on Pro Tools, Cubase is still in the running...

Thank you very much for your time & sharing. - Take care, Kwall

I'd go for the later processor. The 4th generation i7 adds certain instructions that are useful for signal processing - there is a big difference between the 2nd generation i7 in my laptop and my son's 4th generation i7 in his, otherwise similar, laptop.

Either of them will handle plenty of tracks using decent software - in fact just about any computer made in the last 20 years can do 16 tracks if you are using well written software.

Between the 2 processors you are looking at, there isn't a lot of difference. I would lean towards the I7-4700. It would easily handle any recording tasks. My recording system has an I5-4570 and it's roughly the same as your 4700MQ. Running Reaper, it easily will record 8 tracks at once. I have done video editing using just the Intel on chip video, no fancy vid card.

The issue is that both processors are a bit of a dead end. You can't go beyond Win 10 which sunsets in 2 years. If you keep your system offline, that's not a problem but if you want to be able to upload and download audio and video files, then you eventually start to run into a bit of risk once updates stop.

Personally, I wouldn't go with anything with a processor under 8th Gen Intel for that reason. Unless you absolutely need to go bottom barrel, you can do much better. I have considered this system to replace my old 4th Gen I5 Lenovo system. You can get 16 GB or RAM for $35 which would bump it up to 24GB. I have a 2TB data drive I would migrate. Total outlay of under $500 with tax and it would outrun my current system. The only downside is the power supply won't handle a big time video card. Some of those take a LOT of power (200W).

Last edited:
I'd go for the later processor. The 4th generation i7 adds certain instructions that are useful for signal processing - there is a big difference between the 2nd generation i7 in my laptop and my son's 4th generation i7 in his, otherwise similar, laptop.

Either of them will handle plenty of tracks using decent software - in fact just about any computer made in the last 20 years can do 16 tracks if you are using well written software.
Hi Jamesperrett, From what I see 3rd gen is the highest my DH67CL mobo can go. It requires a BIOS change which I was shying away from, but not so much now. So Im looking at the i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache. I'm trying to stay away from swapping the mobo also...but....

Between the 2 processors you are looking at, there isn't a lot of difference. I would lean towards the I7-4700. It would easily handle any recording tasks. My recording system has an I5-4570 and it's roughly the same as your 4700MQ. Running Reaper, it easily will record 8 tracks at once. I have done video editing using just the Intel on chip video, no fancy vid card.

The issue is that both processors are a bit of a dead end. You can't go beyond Win 10 which sunsets in 2 years. If you keep your system offline, that's not a problem but if you want to be able to upload and download audio and video files, then you eventually start to run into a bit of risk once updates stop.

Personally, I wouldn't go with anything with a processor under 8th Gen Intel for that reason. Unless you absolutely need to go bottom barrel, you can do much better. I have considered this system to replace my old 4th Gen I5 Lenovo system. You can get 16 GB or RAM for $35 which would bump it up to 24GB. I have a 2TB data drive I would migrate. Total outlay of under $500 with tax and it would outrun my current system. The only downside is the power supply won't handle a big time video card. Some of those take a LOT of power (200W).

Hi TalismanRich, Yeah...the more I think through it the more I'm thinking new mobo & I9...but then I need new memory and probably a PS upgrade...what a slippery slope :-).

Kwall

Hi TalismanRich, Yeah...the more I think through it the more I'm thinking new mobo & I9...but then I need new memory and probably a PS upgrade...what a slippery slope :-).

Kwall
And sorry, but I was referring to the i5 Desktop. (I think) I've decided the laptop fan will be a noise problem so I'm going to go with the tower.

Unless you are doing massive orchestral work with virtual instruments a Core I9 is probably overkill. The extra money would be better spent on memory and SSDs.

If you will be doing video, cores and threads do matter, so I would investigate those requirements, too.

If you're going to have the PC in the same room that you are recording in, then heat induced fan noise and spinning drives are both potential problems. Put your projects and whatever will be doing a lot of read/writes on SSDs, and the system needs to be an SSD, but keep as much other stuff off of that (i.e., on external drives) as possible, so you can keep that size smaller. SSDs are memory chips and they get hot, too, even if there's no mechanical noise. Your backup drives (for *everything*) can be spinners if you're organized and diligent enough to only have them on for backups, outside normal hours. Or use cloud backup.

I have my system (SSD) backup going to a pair of mirrored (fan-less) SSDs sitting in front of me. A/V projects, music and photo libraries are on a mirrored HDD pair in a closet (that enclosure has a fan), periodic cloud backup of that - they'll get replaced by SSDs, maybe someday, maybe not - still works...

While I can't comment on Pro Tools resource needs... I think one doesn't need to "build" workstation level machines anymore if it's mainly for like you say a few tracks. An I7 11390h with16gb in a small compact box (plus an additional bu drive) is what I'm using for Reaper now. Love it.

Attachments

• Small_PC.jpg
    Small_PC.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 2
UPDATE: I had forgot about my wife's old XPS 8920. It has an i7-7700 & 32Gb memory (can go to 64). So I'm going to give that a go. I'm going with all SSD.

Now I just need to get off the dime and choose the software....

Thank you for all the input. I really appreciate it.

Kwall

Kwall, I would go ahead and download Reaper. It's free to try for 2 months, is fully functional and the system you describe should run fine. If you don't like it, you can delete it with no problems. For $60, it's one of the best bargains in recording today.

Sometimes I do mixing with it on a 10 year old XPS system with 8GB and AMD Phenom X6-1035 which is about 40% as fast as your I7.

Back