"Processed" Vocals

AlecBeretz

So when people hear processed, robot vocals, what is going on?

I mean obviously they're using auto tune, heavy gating, reverb, etc. But something gives it that shimmer that I cant seem to figure out. Is it excessive doubling? Or phasing?

The reason I ask is because a little of that effect can make vocals sound good. Too much makes it sound plastic. I'm aiming for a middle ground in case I have to record pop-punk artists and stuff like that.

Obviously there is no magic formula, so any methods (even if it isn't the ONLY method) would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone knows the science behind it (rather than just effects/methods) I would be very interested.

You got most of it, but totally depends on what you try to achive,
My ideal robot vocals are extreme auto-tune, heavy gating, ring mod, and possibly a vocoder. Also look into flangers, phasers and rapid chorus(maybe even some leslie emulations).

The science(!) - well, the auto-tune is for having a fixed pitch pretty much, as a robot would have.
The gating is for having no echo/reflections from the room, so it will be pretty robotty :P
Ring mod is for that creepy ELP KE9 sound, that can be quite nice for a robot,
A vocoder may give it a sense of non-human sound.
Flangers, phasers and chorus all use the same principle of short delays and varying pitch over that on different speeds, also can be used for that non-human sound.

Hmm, that's pretty much it, isn't it :D

I hear a lot of vocoder use in "dance" music these days. A lot of it very subtle, even just a phrase or two in a chorus.

Regardless of what effects you put on it, you need a great singer, a great room, and a great recording. That'll give you half of the shimmer you're looking for.

So when people hear processed, robot vocals, what is going on?

Whats going on is the same thing that's going on in every second song on the radio these days, I can't wait until they get tied of it and stop.

Producer: "Hay I have an Idea, lets just record a really good singer with really good gear and not screw up the voice with stupid auto tune effects".

Label rep: "hay what a unique idea, lets do it"

Then I wake up with the alarm clock ringing.

Alan.

Whats going on is the same thing that's going on in every second song on the radio these days, I can't wait until they get tied of it and stop.

Producer: "Hay I have an Idea, lets just record a really good singer with really good gear and not screw up the voice with stupid auto tune effects".

Label rep: "hay what a unique idea, lets do it"

Then I wake up with the alarm clock ringing.

Alan.

Yeah but it's like Groundhog day listening to the radio these days

It varies with the production. How long is a piece of string?

Start with a good mike and a good singer and you're almost there. Everything else is creativity. Sky's the limit.

There's really no magic formula.

Cheers :)

Yeah but it's like Groundhog day listening to the radio these days

capital Fm - My Hell.. On Repeat!

ive got limited experience with recording/mixing etc, the only way ive done it is with auto tune and bits of doubling...

Not quite sure what spark u mean..

Back