Problems with recording WAV files

lbzx

I ran across this post and am glad (not glad, but - well, you know...) someone else has this problem. I've already jammed 384 megs of ram into my very new computer since prices were way down. I have the same card and thought the wave studio was at least a decent basic starter until I investigated something more sophisticated; recording digitally is relatively new to me - an old analog dog.

Now I'm on the edge of my seat to get some insight.

I have just begun recording WAV files with my turntable and old vinyl. I'm using a Soundblaster Live soundcard through a 166 mHz Pentium, 64 MB RAM. Software is Wave Studio, which comes with the Soundblaster and Jet Audio.

Problem is I'm getting little jump-cuts in the data stream. When I play my WAVs back, there are little elisions, so to speak -- the music will jump ahead a few milliseconds. Obviously the data is not tracking onto the hard drive correctly.

Other times, the recording process will just stop in mid-stream.

I have defragged my hard drive and it still happens. I'm told I need to dedicated more memory to the applications, but how do you do this? Perhaps there is a way of increasing the buffer onto the hard drive, but how do you do this?

Has anyone had similar problems to these? And what is the remedy?

Anxiously awaiting your answers,

Richard

Back