Problem

Dj17

How can I resolve this.

I want to hear my previously recorded Cubase tracks in playback on the monitors while I play a new guitar track directly processed with a distortion plug-in. (I'm sure I messed up the syntax on that one...) This is the first time I tried to do this, and it didn't work at all. I probably hooked my mixer up the wrong way. How do I do it in order to do what I want to do?

I have a Yamaha MG10/2 mixer, and Audiophile 2496 soundcard and monitors. That is all.

Here's a more detailed explanation of the *real* problem.

Last time I tried, I had the monitors plugged in the mixer's ST Out, the AP2496's outs routed to the mixer's 2TR in. I could hear the Cubase tracks. Now I plugged the Rec Out on the mixer in the AP2496's ins so I could record the guitar (I use the mixer as a DI).

Of course, when I tried to play I got a retarded echo-feedback-ish like sound. I figured it must have been because the monitors caught the unprocessed sound of the guitar on the way in and got the processed sound on the way out and that probably cause the echo.)

Or maybe not. Do you have an idea?

Leave the AP outs plugged into the 2TR Ins.
Plug your monitors into the mixer's CR Out.
Set the AP Control Panel Patchbay Router to Monitor Mixer.
Use the insert on channel 1 of the mixer into the AP (plug the jack in to the first click). This keeps your input signal off the main bus, which is also being fed by the 2TR In.
Turn on Input Monitoring in Cubase on the track you've armed for recording. When you play you should hear the previously recorded tracks as well as your guitar through the distortion plugin.
Use the AP Control Panel Monitor Mixer levels to adjust the balance between Input 1 (what you're recording) and Master Volume (what's already been recorded)

Thanks A LOT.

I'll try it out at home and see how it works out.

You always got great advice. Served me well up to now :).

No, just use 2 1/4" - rca cables from the inserts into the soundcard. Insert 1 to left input, insert 2 to right input

Ok I was just wondering because there's only 1 insert per channel, and I'm only using 1 channel at a time anyway. Would a Y cable work, though?

Back