Problem with Tascam CDRW-5000

HFFritz

Odd behavior with my CDRW-5000:

I record onto a CD-R and finalize the disc. I press play, and it doesn't play. The display shows it's on track 1, but there's no time data. After about 10 seconds it says 'No Disc'. I open the door, close the door, same thing. Power down, turn it back on, same thing. When the CD loads, it does display the total time correctly, and it DOES play on other players, but not the 5000.

I purchased a cleaning disc and ran that with no improvement. The unit was rack mounted with another component directly above it, and last night I re-arranged my rack so that there is empty space above and below, thinking that it needs to breathe.

This problem seemed to begin about a year after I bought it, up until then it seemed iron-clad.

Has anyone else had similar problems? Hopefully there is a solution because I would hate to have to replace it.

Have you tried burning again with a different brand of CD-R?

Or is this the same brand you have always used with no problems?

I have had problems (similar to the problem you are describing, but not exact) when I've tried cheaper, no name media.

Brad

Yes, I've purchased no name CD-R's for very cheap and had disasterous results. I once got a spool of fifty where it was difficult to tell one side from the other, and after about the tenth CD, I gave up. When I tried returning them the clerk said that it is not unusual that about 10 out of the 50 won't work, and suggested that I keep trying!

I've had the best results with the Memorex brand, and those are the ones that I've stocked up on. Both the regular size and the pocket mini's. Again, while recording, it appears that everything is going just fine, just when I try to playback on the 5000 do I have a problem. Everyone who takes a CD with them says that they had no problems.

You have used the mini-CD-R's (8cm) in the 5000 with okay results?

Sorry, I know that is off topic - but I tried some mini's in my 5000, and no luck - they were cheapos though.

Well, sounds like your problem with the 5000 is the playback only, is that right? If you take the finalized disc out of the machine and pop it in another CD player, it works fine?
Personally, if that happened to my 5000, it wouldn't warrant getting rid of the machine. If you really want that playback to work, I would suggest emailing TASCAM and see what they say. My amateur opinion is that your playback laser is out of whack, but I don't know.
In all honety, I don't usually play back a disc in the 5000 after I finalize it. Probably because the concern is that it plays in other machines - for me anyway. I have a Denon player in the rack right under the TASCAM. I usually just pop the disc out of the 5000 and into the Denon, and if it plays, I am happy.

Then again, it is supposed to work, so I understand your frustration. I didn't see this mentioned at the TASCAM BBS, so maybe you should give TASCAM a call or email, see if it has happened to others - maybe there is an easy fix.

Brad

I have been eyeing the cdrw2000. Is the 5000 any better? How does tascams converters stack up to the Sony w66 or master link in your opinion?

Sorry for the deviation from this thread. I just see so little posts here. Thanks.

Dan

Brad, regarding the mini-cd's, I have had success only with the white ones from Memorex. I had tried some others with no luck. The white ones come on a spool of 50 and you have to buy the cases separately.

Shockwave, the cdrw2000 looks like their flagship cd recorder, which would be an excellent buy. I would choose Tascam over Sony, but I could be wrong. It looks like the CD format will be with us for a few more years, and it always makes more sense to get quality and spend a few more bucks.

Thanks Fritz. I went with the masterlink. It wasn't that much more than the tascam cdrw2000 and offered a lot more, including hi end converters. Tough choice though. I wish I could get both!

>Has anyone else had similar problems?

Exactly the same problem.

Strictly a bad media issue. My Unit seems to like Maxell CDRs best.

Back