Problem with quality of keyboard record

Blueeyedgirl

So, I have Yamaha NP-V80 keyboard and I want to record using it some music to my laptop. I bought a cable to connect computer and instrument. I connected. And recorded something. And then problems started. The quality was horrible! Even worse than the record-made-by-skype mic quality ;( So, in my laptop I have mic-in input and in my keyboard I have (Head)phones out output. I read that this output and input give the worst quality. What I must do to record my keyboard in high quality (I mean clear, without any noise and cracks) ? Please help I'm a completely newbie!

Try going into the LINE input on the laptop...it might be the same physical connection as the MIC input, but in the laptop you set it to LINE instead of MIC.
Most computers sense the connection and ask you LINE or MIC?

Your keyboard output is too hot for a MIC input.

That said...most on-board A/V cards on computers suck...and it's easy to overload them and end up with lousy sound.

My computer do not asked me LINE or MIC ;( How to change it? And maybe there is something I should buy like soundcard? And what is "guilty" for the bad quality - mic input or the phones output in keyboard?

OK...then is there more than one input on the computer?
Now days they use one for both MIC and LINE, but some might have two inputs, one for each.

You should be able to find a good level balance (turn down your headphone output on the keyboard if using the MIC input).

No, I have only one input. And YES I find good level balance - just made volume on keyboard lower than it was. ;) The sound of a keyboard is now good but I there is still the noise in the recording.. What I must do to cut it? I use Sony ACID 8.

I agree with SAAD, you need to buy an audio interface and connect your keyboard through the MIDI interface. Before you do it, try the USB connection as the Piaggero keyboard has USB and MIDI interfaces

Back