Problem with MOTU 8pre

12milluz

Just got it today and tried hooking it up. Earlier, it was working, but when I tried recording, my computer BSOD! Now, I updated the computer and now when I connect it and turn it on, it only goes into "converter" mode and won't enter interface mode. Any help?

Sure.
What do you mean by "Updated"?
If you've gone to another OS or added a service pack then you need to update your drivers too.
I don't understand "BSOD" by the way but if you want to add a little more info about your OS and DAW, I'm sure you'll get lots of help.
You may just need to change your preferences.

I had done a fresh install of XP before I got the unit. BSOD=Blue screen of death. I was getting blue screens of death each time I tried to use the interface (with reaper) so I assumed I should update XP as it was running fresh of the disk with not even SP2. I used the drivers from MOTUs website. Now, it won't even connect to the computer. I'm wondering if it could possibly be a bad firewire cable, so I ordered another one. I saw online some where that the MOTU was picky- you have to turn it on, then the computer on for it to recognize it. I havent tried that yet, but I will. Thanks guys!

So I've tried connecting it/turning it on with the computer off first, on first and its still not helping. It won't go into "interface" mode. Did anyone have any trouble like this?

Ah!
The dreaded Blue Screen of Death.
Alright, let's start with your disc and operating system.
How old is your hard drive?
Does it get hot?
Are you using a legal copy of XP?
Have you registered/authenticated it?

Ah!
The dreaded Blue Screen of Death.
Alright, let's start with your disc and operating system.
How old is your hard drive?
Does it get hot?
Are you using a legal copy of XP?
Have you registered/authenticated it?
Hard drive is about four years old- system runs well. Does not get hot or anything and XP is good. I was toying around with it and noticed when I bent the cable a certain way it connected for a moment, then disconnected, then blue screened. I'm thinking the cable is bad. I'll post when I try it with a different cable. Thanks for your help.

Anthony

Back