problem with monitor hum :(

jman1986

hey all i am having a small problem with my new montiors i just got. i have the yamaha hs50m series with the hs10w subwoffer. i am recording into an hp pavillion dv9000 laptop. has been working great, but ever since i bought the subwoffer it is directly under neath my laptop i have noticed there is a hum and some high freq noises coming from the monitor speakers and sub. when i turn the laptop off or unplug the main power cord while the laptop is on the hum and high freq noises go away. I am not sure what to do, i've changed cables and stuff. I am thinking that maybe the laptop is to close to the woffer? i didn't try moving the laptop or woffer yet, does anyone have any suggestions?

that would be great if so :rolleyes:

yeah, I would try movin somethin...either the sub or laptop and see what that does.

Also, I've got a couple pieces of gear that have inline transformers and I've noticed that sometimes when I get a hum, I can just turn the transformer a few degrees and the hum goes away. Not sure why this is, but it's worked every time.

You got anything with inline transformers?

Just a thought.

Kel

Hum noise

From what you describe your humming is coming from ac power cord that is why it goes away when you are on battery power. All pwer cords leak some power and this is being picked up by your speakers. 2 solutions ! easy move the power soure away from the speakers. 2. if you have to have it there you will need to shield the cord. hope this helps
Tim

Nope - you can't shield it. The power cable is causing the problem - I had the exact same problem. The only solution is to run your laptop on battery power. Buy a second battery if you need extended recording times....

Back