problem with fostex R8

kartikbala

Hi dudes,

Just got meself a fostex r8 off the 2nd hand mkt. Im having a problem while recording. Somehow it records only for a few seconds, then automatically stops. Then on playback, the same thing happens...playing for a few seconds then stopping.

I haven;t the remotest idea what's going on. Anybody can help.

PS: I don't have the owners manual! And I am threading the tape in the correct way....judging from pictures on the net.

Thanks!
KB

Also, i read that you shld use cotton swabs to clean the heads. Does anyone know where I can get that from? Will the cotton buds (the ones for digging the ear) do?

Pls forgive my newbie questions...it's just that with analog very much non-existent where I live, this is the only place where I can pose qns and hope for answers.

cheers!
kb

Sounds like dirty everything, guides heads etc. Clean em real good. Yea, the earswabs
will do all right. But do it TWICE. This is a common problem. Believe me, it can stop any machine. Old tape is the culpret. Or the machine was dirty when you bought it. Look real good. Everything the tape touchs. My 16 trk did the same thing. I couldn't believe it. If it doesn't help it, come on back. But DO THAT FIRST. If it works, your on your way!:D
fitz:)

Hi kartikbala, say, don't use regular ole isopropyl alcohol. Try and find some 99% pure stuff. The normal rubbing stuff isn't good for your machine. And don't use the alcohol for the rubber stuff. Get some rubber cleaner. And BTW:

My sanity depends on it!

Ha!, if your gonna take this on as a hobby, your already crazy, so just have fun!:D

Thanks Fitz (don't ask me how i ended up with ritz in the previous post) and sennheiser!

i ended up getting denatured ethanol (95%) from a chemist and it seems better. the other weak link as i see it is the tape that im using. it 's extremely old and after just one pass leaves all sorts of weird deposits! time to get new tape!

(to reinforce the fact that i am crazy....i'm actually enjoying doing all this stuff!)

cheers!
KB

Back