Problem with Darla and XP

Clapton39

I recently purchased a Sony Pentium 4 desktop (Intel chipset)in . I am running windows xp home edition. I have Darla 20 bit sound card. My software is Cakewalk Pro Audio 9. I have downloaded Echo's latest drivers for Windows Xp. At some point during the playback of a recorded track I willl hear a "crackling" noise and lose any sound. I will need to restart the computer to get the sound back. This happens over and over and I am very frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

You won't like this

Uninstall XP, which will require that you fdisk your system and reformat your hard drive. Go with a more stable and well tested OS like Win98 or Win2K. I have both of these on my machine and they work great with Cake Walk Sonar. I do experience crackling in my recording with Vegas and Acid but that's a software issue because I've done everything they said to do and I have no IRQ conflicts (my Delta 66 card shares an IRQ with PCI Steering which is recommended).

This must be an XP issue because I recently upgraded from '98 and have the same thing with my SBLive. It's fine recording a single track, but when adding more tracks I get wacked out crackle on playback. It only happens in Sonar, recording in CoolEdit is clean. Very frustrating and I have the latest SB drivers.

I had to sell my aardvark card because their beta win2k/xp drivers blow ass, I'm extremely disappointed in that company's ability to support their customers. I'm now looking for a card manufacturer who actually knows how to write drivers. In fact my #1 criteria for new soundcards is driver expertise, this makes or breaks the card in my opinion.

If anyone has an advanced audio card setup running in XP without problems, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks.

AAUUGGHH! My problem turned out to be a corrupted Sonar file. Craziest thing, you record tracks in this file and they sound wacked, but start with a New sonar file and no problems. After striking myself in the head repeatedly, I'm back to recording with no probs using SB Live under Win XP Pro. :cool:

Heinz - I have a friend who has 4 puters running XP. His main is a P4 with cubase 5 and Hammerfall sound card. His second puter runs gigastudio with a waveterminal card. The 3rd puter is a backup and the fourth accesses the net. All are networked under XP.

His opinion?? The best system he's had so far. XP is the most stable OS to date in his opinion.

As a result I've gone to XP and everything works fine and XP is definitely faster and more stable than 98se which I previously used.

cheers
John

Back