problem with aardvark in amd x2 system

lukgier

hi

I've switched to x2 3.8mhz on gigbyte ultra 939 (F10) system and started to have problems with the system. Even though I switched all unnecessary hardware in bios - so to get as many IRQs as possible, the audio card - Direct Pro 2496 freezes and so does the system. I can't figure out what is wrong with my pc. On my previous amd64 3,2mhz processor it run with no problems. My specs are as follows:
amd x2 3,8
2x1024 geil sticks
2x 250gb sata hadds base -the raid is switched off in bios
gigbyte k9ns ultra 939 with F10 bios - I flashed it just before pluging in the x2 proc. Maybe I should go back to F9? haven't checked this out yet
the latest nforce drivers 5.11 - tried also 5.10
the latest ati drivers
I tried also all PCI bays - no the DP is working in the last one - the 5th one.
I tried 7.04 and 7.13 aardvark drivers with the same results.
I read on harmony's forum about hyperthreading and that switching it off helps in such cases. Do x2 also suffer of hyperthreading? Can I switch it off? I didn't find it in my bios though. :/

please guys help me with this out because I lost hope. I thought I would get better system and it turned out to be a disaster. I'm really losing hope on this :(
Should I start looking around a new audio host? What should I buy then to replace my almost great DP?

regards
lG

Theres been a lot of talk about what to do.
You need to disable cool n quiet in your BIOS. Then install the AMD CPU driver from AMD's website. If fixes a WINDOWS problem that affects internal clock timing.
If issues still persist, try your audio hardware on another system to rule out anything with that.

thanks guys,

Shackrock
yes, this is amd x2 64bit processor. Before I chose the matherboard I read a lot about nforce4 problems that's why I chose gigabyte which is nforce3 ultra chipset mb.

Noisewreck
I use XP eng PRO SP2 with autopatcher installed. The system is brand new with no other soft installed.
I flashed previous bios F9 but it didn't help.

Jazzmang
I haven't tried with the cool'n'quiet. I will check this out today. I am using the newest amd drivers for x2 proc.
I will try with your idea today.

thanks a lot once again
cheers
lG

I know noisewreck, this problem involves the DP card which has shitty drivers and won't work with x2 processor. I used this card with about 10 different configurations of PC with different mbs and procs and almost always I had problems with DP but freezing occured not as often as now and I can't figure out what couses this. It's been very hot days recently and maybe this is the cool'n'quiet problem indeed.

cheers
lG

Struggling with similar problems (audio dropouts) with my Layla 3G card and nForce4/AMD X2

Try the attached program (by Microsoft) - install (follow the instructions exactly), run the config tool and set your audio device driver to use CPU0 (or 1) only instead of both. It has helped people with e.g. UAD-1 problems, and it may help in this case too.

My card worked great on nForce3, though. It's no fun, I know all to well. :

Let us know how it goes!

Attachments

• intrfilter.zip
    30.7 KB · Views: 4
That's really interesting! I've never heard about it. I will try this out when I come back home.

thanks TheTrickster
cheers
lG

TheTrickster

I've tested your patch but with no success. I installed it with every conf I could and with no positive influence on the system. The DP still hangs the system all the time. The only solution I can see now is buying a new audio card which works with x2 processors. Before, I was using the same conf but with AMD athlon 3,2 processor and I had rather no problems. Switching to x2 has become a nightmare for me.

What sound card would you recommend which works stable on x2 systems, has good asio 2 drivers and genuine 24bit ad/da - not 16bit digitally software inproved to 24bit -this is common in today's audiocards. I've been using Aardvark DP for 6 years now and I think its adda converters are amazing and I wouldn't like to switch to something of less quality.

Any recomendations?

cheers
lG

This is exactly why I went with an Intel Pentium processor when I built my new system. I had an AMD in my last, and although I like AMD for my home computer, I DO NOT like it for my recording computer. There are just to many compatibility issues. It makes it risky to buy new hardware. Go the the P4 and you don't have to worry. It's not really that much more, and the little more you spend is worth the aggravation you save in the long run. Keep your audio card, but replace the Motherboard and Processor.

Thanks guys!

JazzMang
I taking the patch home and will be testing it today. Thanks very much. I will let you know about the results as soon as can.

cheers
lG

hello all,

After isntalling TSC nothing good happened for a while, the system still unstable but ... I switched second arctic cooler in my system on and ... everything came back to normall what means very stable, with no hangs. I've been using the system for 2 weeks with tsc drivers onboard and it works really good. it didn't freeze eversince. so the problems was most the matter of temp ... ? ... who knows ... it's been really hot this summer so maybe this is it.

cheers guys
thanks JazzMang for the TSC

lG

zekthedeadcow - yes, this is aardvark direct pro 2496 audio card. I don't think I 've done anything to show off but it took me a while to get it work properly. In the past 6 years I've set up about 10 completely different configuration of PCs to work with my aardvark and most of them were AMD computers but with this one (X2) it was really hard to make it, the problem laid in such a tiny think like temperature though.
Now it's been working really fast and very very stable. The DP has not hanged since switching my second artcic cooler on - there just two of the same ACs - one on the amd and one in the case. I wonder if it didn't work without the amd optimization drivers but with just the windows ones which involve the same tsc thing. Before the cooler I tried them with no luck but I know why.
If any aardvark user would like to get to know anything about tweaking the X2 system, just go ahead.

cheers
lG

are you using the 7.13 drivers then?

I know aardvark cards can freak out over the weirdest things... when I first bought my Q10 XP decided that it HAD to be a network card and DHCP was always messing with it :)

I would think for the long haul you'd want to ditch the Aardvark and get something that was, oh I don't know... still supported?

Back