problem w/ mp20 and SROs

h kuhn

Hi everybody,
I get random pops and about 6dB more noise on the left channel of my mp20 when i connect two earthworks SROs. The problem remains on the left channel if I swap both cables and mics or connect only one mic to the left channel, but disappears when i connect my pair of mc012. I measured the phantom power of both legs of the input.
I have consistent 14.45 V on the left and 14.46 V on the right side. w/o mics I measure 46.1 V only. THe mp20 is disconnected from everything else, listening via headphone outs (now I know what they are for..)
The pops are very low frequency, random and sound almost like someone touching very lightly the membrane.
ANY idea?
regards
Harald

Harvey Gerst said:
Sounds like you have a cap going out in the MP20, and the SROs draw just enough more power to make it happen.
Thank you for the answer, I am taking it apart at the monent to check for bad soldering points. I have very little knowledge my own about electronics, there are two capacitors connected with 2 legs of the input (looks like 2 and 1, it is covered, have to take it apart to be shure), could it be one of these?
regards
Harald
PS OT but i tried the ominis poiniting down for various sources, and it just sounds amazing. Since I have read the schoepps and the neumann book and your mic-thread my whole concept of micing changed so radically. I will be very happy if I can give back only 10 % of all i learned here from you (and all your other postings on different boards I read).You are an absolutely outstanding personality!

Harvey Gerst said:
Sounds like you have a cap going out in the MP20, and the SROs draw just enough more power to make it happen.

I have it open know, the two capacitors (one on each channel, 100 uF and 63V) would be easy to replace (if i can manage to get the parts here...) i cant see any bad soldering, everything looks fine.

Back