problem w/input levels when mixing

no_monkeybiznus

Question: I just upgraded my mixer from behringer to allen & heath mixwiz. When I was recording from the behringer to adat I would use the inserts as a direct out, knowing that this was unbalanced I still used balanced cable cause I bought the easy 8 in 8 out snake. I got the levels pumpin to really close to 0 on all the tracks. So now I'm ready to mix and I plug the 8 balanced into the inputs on the a&h and I'm clipping like crazy on all the tracks......even w/ all the gains down, I have to use the -30db button, but then I have to turn up the trims. Damn....What happened? thanks for any help
Dean

Are you using the inserts to bring back the recorded channels for mixdown? You should just use the regular line level inputs on the channels.

Well when using balanced outs from my outboard burner to a pair of channel inputs on the MixWiz, the pad is engaged and the trim is at ~10:00 to get a good PFL reading.

Are the 1/4 in balanced inputs not line level or something on the mix wiz's. I dont get it. Thanks alot though.
It just seems like we should'nt have to do that.....

Sometimes 1/4" balanced inputs on the channels are adjustable for line/mic level. Maybe you should try coming in thru the inserts and bypassing the preamps. It wouldnt hurt to try.

I dont have either of those mixers, but a quick check on the specs of a eurorack and mixwiz shows the line inputs have different sensitivity ranges. for the mixwiz, it's -60db to -20db, and for the behringer it's -40db to +10db. seems as though the mixwiz line inputs might are more sensitive then the behringers. with the pad in, the mixwiz is -30db to +10db, closer to the behringer

>cant even handle a hot balanced signal.

I'd say that was unfair to say they "can't handle" a hot signal.

Did you notice any funky artifacts when you engaged the pad?

Just a different range represented than what you were used to using. I've recorded with this mixer live and it will handle some HOT signals from micing a Marshall cranked to 11.

Back