Problem sending to 2 trk

killmachine

Ok here's my set up. Running out of 24 ch board out of the Main outs, TRS 1/4" to the analog in's which are RCA of my 2001 generation Phillips single cd recorder. I know this is not the best, but I've used it before a few years back and it turned out well. My intentions are to get a pc interface and run to the comp for my 2 trk. Or I was thinking about the masterlink.

My problem:
There is a static sound on the right channel. It is audible especially on quieter dynamic parts. Actually making it sound like the kick drum has distortion on it or like it's clipping. This however is only present after the cd has finished. Meaning, I monitored through phones both on the board and the recorder. The static is progressivly worse when listening on a computer, then i stick it in the truck and it's not half as bad.

My process:
So I ran the wires as i stated above. I was running master fader level at unity. I was running the recorder at -28db reduction with it in the red about 75% of the time. I know that wasn't the best idea since I can bump up the whole track volume later. At that point coming down -1db reduction bringing it to -29db made a substantial difference in the volume. I know they say most people can usually only hear differences of 3-6db intervals, but I've always been able to hear the difference in just 1 or 2 db. The reduction seemed to be alot on the recorder, but in order to get the reduction reduced I'd have had to pull down that master fader and that just didn't feel right. I've always been under the impression that you should try to run things at unity as much as possible, but under this circumstance I'm very much in the learning process.

Anyway I'm thinking a few things could be the problem.

-I ran too hot to the recorder

-to much reduction on the recorder itself

-a short on the right side in the cable

-the analog to digital converters went bad on the recorder.

I've never really liked the sound after the recorder does it's thing. I know those Phillips recorders weren't meant to be used for that type of purpose in the first place. We needed some pre release stuff on a quick mix to dish out at a show, (which by the way the owner pulled the plug after 2 songs, now were on campiagn to shut the place down).

What do you guys think??

oh that could be it. it sounds like perhaps the master section on the board is overloaded. either that or the input section of the cd recorder. the phones output might not be revealing this. I think you should try sending to the recorder at a lower volume.

don't feel bad about the show. two months ago I drove 20 hours to DC to be pulled after 15 minutes!!!

Last night we drove 2 hours and the place had bumped our gig up without telling us! we showed up and they had added another band and said "sorry, you missed your slot". I am still really, really pissed off about that.

swap input cables to cd recorder to see if its a channel thing or cable. It problem switches to other side you know its cables or OUTPUT channel of mixer.

yeah massive i was thinking about that, i didn't really venture to guess though that that would be the root of the problem.

J i did switch cables.

I've come to the conclusion at least in theory I had to much reduction on the recorder end of it, next time if there is a next time using that machine I plan on going with the least amount and lowering it on the board.

and Falken you ever get down to Fl, we can help you out at a place that won't shut either of us down!!!!!!

Can't handle the noise, pussies

Back