problem recording midi data question

stingray

this is my first try at recording midi data and I'm having a little problem trying to get my midi data to record.I thought this would be fairly easy going by the book but I must have missed something.
This is my setup using a kurzwiel piano & roland jv1010 sound module, and midisport 2x2 usb:

1. the midi (in)going to the kurz.piano(channel1)
2. the midi (out) going to the jv1010(channel 1)
3. the midi (out) from the jv1010 going to-
4. the midi (in )of my midisport 2x2 usb(when i hit the piano keys,the midisport green light flashes,I guess that means it's working.I can also play the sound module from the kurz piano.

My sonar 1.0 set up:

inside my sonar midi track recording window it looks like this:

1. the (R) recording light is turned on(red)
2. (CH) is set to none for now but I tryed other channels already.
3. (PCH) nothing
4. (BNk) nothing
5. (VOL) 127
6. (PAN) Centered
7. (VEL) 0
8. (KEY) 0
9. (time)0
10. (FX) nothing
11. (CHR) 0
12. (REV) 0
13. (IN) Midi omni for now but I tryed (ch 1) & (none)
14. (OUT) 1 out A USB midisport 2x2 (I dont have any connection to this port. the only connection is from the sound module to the 1 (in)midisport A USB.

under options/midi devices:

1.inputs: in a midisport,in B midisport(highlighted)

2.outputs: out a midisport,out B midisport(highlighted)

under options/instruments

1.output ch: out a usb midisport

2.user instrument: default

under options/project:

1.clock: internal

2.midi input: all channels are checked

3.midi note: port 1,(Ch) 10

When I record using just a midi track it doesnt record any data.I'm not concerned about hearing any sounds at this point ,I'm just trying to see if i can record midi data.I have no problem recording audio.Any help would be cool.

I'm a bit confused -- there's such a mass of irrelvant detail in your post -- but it seems on a quick glance that you have stuff set up wrong.

The MIDI messages from the Kurzweil keyboard go into the Roland module, but normally they do not go out the Roland's MIDI Out unless there's some setting to echo them. The MIDI Thru port would echo the messages coming into the Roland. So perhaps that's your problem, though then why would you see the MIDISport's LEDs blink then?

For the track settings, Omni means that this track will receive messages from any MIDI channel. So if MIDI data is getting there, it would be recorded regardless of channel.

Also, you say that The In B of the MIDISport is highlighted. Is this the port that you have the MIDI cable coming from the Roland plugged into? You only said it was plugged into the MIDI In of the MIDISport. This could be your problem if the cable is plugged into A but only B is selected as an active port.

Check that and let us know if that helps...

Run the keyboard directly to the midisport.Pick that channel for recording.
Set the output on that track to the jv1010.
Make sure you have the correct channels set on the keyboard,trackpane and sound module.
Last,click on the track you want to record.I don't know what version your using,but Cakewalk has a habit of ignoring midi signals when you don't click the track pane.

Good luck!

Back