Problem - MOTU 8pre and Audiodesk

Metal Marc

Pretend Action Guy (PAG)
I'm having a problem with my 8pre and am not getting much help from MOTU. Before I take this to the next level, I would like to post this problem here to see if anyone has ever had this error and could help me.

First, I hook up the 8pre to my MacBook (2.2 GHz processor; OS Leopard version 10.5.1; 2 GB of RAM). I turn on the 8pre and the display on the right flashes in a checkerboard pattern and doesn't stop. I start Audiodesk (ver 2.11) and I get the following error:
"No Audio Hardware Was Found (MotuAudioSystem Mas MaCoreAudioDeviceSet.cpp, 111 [58:0])"

The firewire cable is new. The version of MotuFireWireAudio.kext I'm running is 1.4.20.

Please help. Thanks.

The 8Pre does what? It should flash in a checkerboard pattern for about two seconds, then stop. It should do that regardless of whether it is hooked up to a computer or not. Sounds like the 8Pre's brain got fried to me.

Call them up on the phone. You should be able to describe the checkerboard symptom to them and they should immediately conclude that the hardware needs servicing. If this is a new unit, they'll probably take a CC number and dispatch a replacement unit and you can box the dead one up and ship it back. At least that's what they did when an ADAT jack cover (required for correct jack operation) broke on one of mine the first day.

BTW, I found one other person on the 'net with the same problem. It might go away if you power cycle it, but otherwise, this is apparently a known, but rare, hardware failure---probably in the power supply, judging by some of the details of the other guy's symptoms.

Back