Problem Mixing Death Metal/Low Vocals

frankthetank727

I was doing a mix and I felt like I was on the right track, but I cannot seem to get these vocals to sit right in the mix. It sounds the vocals are fighting with another instrument but I can't quite pinpoint what that is. I can't exactly figure out if I should notch a spot for these style vocals in the same range you would for someone singing, or even bother performing any EQ. I recorded vocals with a Shure sm-7b. I attached a sample. This mix is for a friend so I wan't it to sound as right and best as I can. Any input or suggestions would be helpful. Song consists of double tracked guitars, bass, programmed drums, vocals, and a couple keyboard parts.

Attachments

• Rough Mix .mp3
    2.6 MB · Views: 68
I've never tried, but my instinct would be, considering how much else is going on in the low end of a death metal mix, to carve out a fair amount of the low end and instead bring out some of the rasp higher up.

I also suspect a little more compression might help you here, though taking out some of that low end rumble might tame the dynamics a bit anyway.

It doesn't help that your stereo image is terribly narrow. Too much going on in the middle where the vocals sit.

Is there anything specific that you can hear the vocals fighting with? Because I the only things I really had "centered" was one of the tracks of the guitar, bass, and the kick. Are there any suggestions you might have from the sample that I could test?

Mute each track one at a time until you hear a significant difference in the way the vocals sit. EQ that track to taste and start over. Eventually you will get it.

Aside from clearing out the mush thats underneath the vocals what I found the key to a great growl sound is actually carving out the lower frequencies and boosting the treble.

The growl is already full of bass, so eq in the part that it lacks, and it will have alot more clarity and punch.

Is there anything specific that you can hear the vocals fighting with? Because I the only things I really had "centered" was one of the tracks of the guitar, bass, and the kick. Are there any suggestions you might have from the sample that I could test?

Problem #1 - Why is there a guitar in the middle along with the vocals, especially in death metal.

I didn't listen to the sample, but putting a guitar in the middle along with vocals is a bad idea because they both use a lot of the same frequencies. Pan you guitars out and then the vocals will probably fit better. If they still don't check to see if they are fighting with the overheads.

Last edited:
Back