Problem hooking up midi-equipment!

Vegard

Hi
I have a problem getting my midi stuff to work properly on my computer. I have the following equipment: AMD duron 1.1gz, soundcard with midi interface (Platinum EX), Roland JV-1010, Midi-merge box ("philip rees 3m" -...cause someone told me I would need one) and a casio ctk-601 keyboard.
How do i get the sounds from jv-1010 work in cubase sx? when I play the keyboard i hear the sounds from jv-1010 (analog out from synth module thru mackie vlz-1202 pro mixer, back into analog-in port on soundcard. But the recorded song use another instrument when I playback after recording!!! How do I connect the keyboard and synth module into the computer properly? Hope anyone have some connection tables or a hint of what I should try. since I bought this used, I does not have the manual.

-VK-

You are recording midi tracks. If it's playing back that means that you have indeed recorded from your keyboard so you know that connection is OK.
You have 2 choices to play the 1010 voice from sx. Either record audio (not midi) tracks, choosing the 1010's inputs to be recorded. Or when you record midi, make sure upon playback the midi out of the given midi track is specified to be the port that is going back in to the 1010. If your midi hub is correctly setup you should be able to select any port to go in or out. And you just have each midi device going in and out from the midi hub on it's own port. So you can easily select or switch instruments from within each midi track.
Sorry if that's confusing.

thanx Subtractor. well, I got a littlebit confused ;), but I am very thankful for your reply. I am still not sure if I have connected the midi hub correctly, but I have connected it as it is described at Philip Rees's webpage http://www.philrees.co.uk/products/mergebox.htm
I got the 3M model. Everything seems to work ok, I have selected the JV-1010 as out device in cubase sx, but it still not record the JV-1010 synths. I can of course record JV-1010 in audio format, but I don't need cubase sx to do that :( Maybe there is some sort of drivers for winxp to use with jv-1010? cubase act's like it don't see the synth module at all, I just "told the program" I got a jv-1010 in "midi devices". don't know if that is all I have to do. I am very thankful for any replies that get me closer to an solution.

Vegard

On the left side of the screen, in the "track dialogue" there are little dropdown menus that specify midi in/ out. Midi in should be your keyboard. Midi out should be the port that the jv1010 is hooked up to. Then you will hear the 1010 while recording in midi and when you play it back.

Subtractor is pointing you in the right direction. Cubase and WinXP don't care what synths you are hooked up to. That is the beauty of midi. If it is recording the midi input but not the output then it would seem you need to double check your midi output routing.

You need to tell cubase what midi port/channel/patch you want it to use for every track and it will send the midi data wherever you tell it.

FYI- You will eventually need to record the audio output of the synths (some people don't realize that).

Believe it or not, its working.. :) Thanks a lot! This have been a problem for a long time, until I found homerecording.com

thanks again!

Vegard

Back