problem exporting .bun to a .wav file

Renegade

I'm at the end of my rope! I finally got my tracks sounding just how I wanted them. Then I sent 13 songs to .wav files to burn to CD. One song was missing. When I looked for it in My Computer it has an address of Cakewalk ProAudio 9 just like the wave files but it appears with a windows icon above it.

I've resent it a couple of dozen times now. It just won't go to a .wav. Is there a way to convert it? What would prevent this one from exporting when I didn't do anything different from the other 12 songs?

Hmmmm?

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your problem correctly or not. In the title of the post you mentioned "problem exporting .bun to .wav"? You can't convert a .bun file straight to a .wav because the .bun file contains everything in that project, not just the musical files. Here's what I do....maybe you do too. When I get my mix the way I want it...I select all tracks that are being mixed...go to tools>mixdown audio. Select an empty track that has another empty one just below it, and click ok. This will create your stereo mix complete with automated fades and anything else you did in the mix. Then select those two tracks only, go to tools>export audio, assign it to a place on your hard drive and there you have your stereo .wav mix.

buns & wavs

Yeah, RR, that's exactly how I do it. That's why I'm so blown away by this. It worked perfectly on 12 files, but the 13th one appears to go to a different place on the hard drive even though it's address is Program/Cakewalk/CakewalkProAudio9. It's like the damn Twilight Zone or something. 'My Computer' shows it in there . . . Adaptec CD creator says it's not.

I did a scan disk to see if there were any errors, but it said there wasn't. Meanwhile, I still have the song in cakewalk. Is there an alternative route to sending it to a .wav???

The other thing is track-bleeding and files disappearing. My head hurts, man. I may have to bag this thing and go back to my li'l BR-8!

Have you tried copying your tracks/mix to a new project window and then export it from there? It may have been corrupted somehow. I have MIDI files that Windows Media player can't see but every other media player I have can see them!

Maybe you could backtrack and try again just with that one file.

Computer age blues

Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh. I don't like losing a song. This one isn't even mine. I get to break it to a friend that I screwed up and she has to do it over.

It's like when I started doing this we recorded a friend at her live performance. Who was I to know that Layla had its own sample rate lock? Recorded on the Boss at 41000, and put it thru Layla at 44000 (unbeknownst to me), and into Cakewalk which defaults to 41000. I can burn it, but it's slow. 'Twas a great gig and now sits in Cakewalk where I can enjoy it, but the world can't have it.

Yup, Paul, I tried putting the song in a new window. It's a no go. If a file is corrupted, wouldn't it get fixed in Scandisk?

I keep thinking that if something is sitting in there . . . there's gotta be a way to get it out! (I'm part Vulcan. I need it to be logical!)

Thanks for the encouragement, John . . . but most of all, your cartoon is great. That's the first time I've had a good laugh in the middle of all this shit!

Oh, man, doesn't life suck at times? NOW I understand the problem you face. It couldn't be just a Sunday afternoon jam session could it?

There has to be a way of exporting that sucker, if it plays, it can be exported. For sure. (I'm half Vulcan on my Mothers side) Have you tried talking to CW help desk? I know it hurts your pride, and I know everyione laughs and sniggers, but.......

Here's thinking of you (there but for the grace of God go I).

Best of luck.

ps Scandisk will not fix this fault. I wish it could.

Renegade, have you searched through your Wavedata folder for the associated tracks?

They should still be there. :)

Try saving bun files of the other 12 tracks and burn to CD for archiving.

Then erase the wrk files of the 12 and Clean Audio Disk. The files left in the Wavedata folder will then be whats left of track 13.

cheers
John

Teach me John!

Which brings me to a separate problem. John, how do you know which files are related to what in the wavedata folder? I have 8.01, but I have never really figured it out yet, partly out of laziness. Is there an easy way to know which files go with each tune? I will dance at your wedding if you have an easy answer ;) bOb

Well I'll be dipped . . .

Finally gave in and called CW. They said to Solo the bounced track (never occurred to me) and then call it something different when I exported it to a wav, and hot damn . . . it worked! Then I tried to rename the li'l sucker and it said, 'access denied'. I just love it when this machine gets all gonzo with me.

Anyhoo . . . after an hour and a half of picturing a song at the top of the charts called, "Test", I decided to shut down the 'puter and then went back and renamed it!

All Is Well.

Gonna go try cleaning up the mess like John suggests just to see what happens . . . but not yet. There's a margarita with my name on it up the street.

Live Long an' Prosper, y'all. Till next time . . . Renegade

RockinRobert...Well I aint about to get married so there'll be no dancing and I can't tell what is related to what track in the wavedata file. Sorry, but I must say I reckon Cakewalk have really scored with the bun file system.

All my tracks are sitingon CDs and can be reloaded at anytime complete...great user firendly system...

so where's SONAR?? it's March now!!....where's the free download trial copy?????

cheers
john

Help!

Similar problem to Renegade - but different!

Having just had a CD-R/RW installed I was eager to use it. I burnt some MP3's on a CD-R - no problem. Flush with success, I then exported a CW .WRK file, saving (tools>export audio)it as a WAV file, burnt it onto a CD-RW, I can see it there (its the only wav file on the disk), I can play it okay from the CD player that I burned it with. But it will not play on an other cd player that I posess. (5 of them). So what is going wrong?

Hi! I'm new around here...
Just a few ideas to toss in.
Renegade, if you can still play the problem file, could you record it to dat of something and re-enter it back into cake as a new file? If you could do this Dig/Dig you wouldn't even loose a generation.

Also, to help keep work files identified, I found it keeps things simpler if you make a new folder (in explorer or whatever) for each project. Then point that project to that folder (tools, audio options, advanced).
For multi track, multi song projects I been starting a project and sub folder for each song. That way when the project is loaded, it's not so huge, wave displays draw out faster, ect. It makes 'house keeping' easier.

By the way, if anyone knows how to otherwise identify cake wrk files (other than the date/time stamp) or if you can move them in and out of projects I'd love to know. I have a shit load of old files I no longer know where they go. (befor i tucked them into there own nests!)

Take care. (or cake care)
mixsit

Piles of files

I don't have a dat at this point, but it's on the ever-growing list of stuff to add to my recording menagerie.

Yeah, you should see the mess I've got in explorer. I need to take the time to open new folders and organize this stuff. I think a lot of my problems come from getting too jazzed over the music and forgetting to save the data in an orderly way. I guess computers actually do require a little rational thought! Housekeeping is so frigging boring . . . z z z z z z z z

What about re-recording them to new tracks within your computer via in-outs on your sound card or software routing?
mixsit

Paul881,

Most audio CD players cannot play CD-RW disks, only CD-Rs, and older players even CD-Rs might be troublesome.

Identify your files within a project...

There is a way to identify what individual files are associated with what project. And with it you can see if there are missing files or orphaned files as well. It's called CWAF (Cake Walk Audio Finder) You should get the newest version and it will help you get a handle on your projects as far as what's in them.

You can the files at CakeWalk's FTP Site Get both the CWAF2.EXE and the CWPATCH.EXE and then you have the tools for the job.

Good luck.

cake exe. files

DS, I could not find either of those exe. files on their site. Can you point them out? I was in the downloads section and also did a search.
Thanks
mixsit

Back