Pro Tools

nitchguitarist

I've tried installing Pro Tools FREE on my cpu but it only works on 98SE and not on XP, which is what I have.

Is there a Pro Tools version for Windows XP?

Unfortunately, there is currently not a ptFREE version for XP. It seems inevitable that Digi will have to create one eventually, though, if they want to continue to use ptFREE as a marketing tool. It'll probably be released just as XP becomes obsolete. :D

when i went to guitar center the guy told me to get the maudio quattro and it'll work w/ pro tools. so far i haven't been able to find a version that works w/ windows xp and i'm not about to buy another hardware. guess i'll be going back t guitar center and find out what's the deal!

Thanks Tukkis. Would you suggest returning the Quattro and getting a Pro Tools (MBox) package or should I just stick with my hardware and use Cubase?

Since all of by band's recordings are done in a studio w/ Pro Tools, I wanted to have it at home so I can do further editing and overdubs before getting it mastered. Your thoughts are welcomed and thanks man!

How many tracks do you want to record at one time?

If you have already recorded the songs in the pro tools format I would probably stay with pro tools. But are you going to keep using pro tools to record with your band or is it only this time?

Tukkis

We'll continue to record in the studio w/ Pro Tools (it's really out of my hands) so maybe I should switch and begin using Pro Tools at home.

Does the MBox work w/ Windows XP?

nitchguitarist said:
We'll continue to record in the studio w/ Pro Tools (it's really out of my hands) so maybe I should switch and begin using Pro Tools at home.

Does the MBox work w/ Windows XP?

Yes, all the current digi (001, mbox, 002) software is for XP.

Yes, Mbox works like a charm with XP.

Be warned, however, that if your band's recording have more than 32 tracks, you will only be able to play back the first 32 with the Mbox (or 002, 001, 002r) versions of PT. This may be "fixed", to a degree, with the next version of PT (due out any day, now) which will let you sellect which tracks (up to 32) you want to hear at any given point in the song.

I own a 002, but used an Mbox at a clinic digi is running these days- its a pretty sweet little unit.

If you are planning to conitinue working with studio's using protools, it might be worth your while to return the Quattro (which will only work with Pro Tools FREE, and not on XP) and buy an Mbox. And tell the guy at Guitar Center to do his @#$!ing homework.

Take care,
Chris

Back