Pro Tools

Metronome

Can anyone explain the differences between the Mac and PC versions? I'm looking to buy a system, I'm leaning towards the PC version, but all the studios I use have the Mac version. Is there a reason why? TIA.

mac is supposedly more stable than pc. that has been in the past anyway. i think that that line is getting thinner though.

From version 5.1 on, there's no difference. There is an "Enforce Compatibility" option that let's you use the sessions on any of the platforms. The main differences were that mac used SDII sound files, while PC used WAV, and of course the naming thing.
And the box and the cards works fine with both.
Cheers, Andrés (PS: I am talking about PT LE and the DIGI 001)

My PC platform PT LE has been flawless, except for one minor thing with a midi driver that just needed re-loading....

1.5 years.. No troubles..

Joe

I don't know what the Mac equivelant is, but Digi's "Wavedriver" for Windows leaves much to be desired in terms of functionality and stability. This may not be an issue though if you don't use anything besides Pro Tools.

elevate said:
I don't know what the Mac equivelant is, but Digi's "Wavedriver" for Windows leaves much to be desired in terms of functionality and stability. This may not be an issue though if you don't use anything besides Pro Tools.

Well, Digi suggests you don't use your Pro Tools computer for anything else...

My PT computer is my PT computer Thats it!...

Never a stability problem.

Joe

This would be a dedicated system, probably Digi 01 or Digi 02. I just need complete compatibility with Mac Pro Tools. (sheesh, I think I just made my decision).

the main problem is that older versions of the Mac Pro Tools use Sound Designer II (SDII) as the recording format. These files have the problem of having a data fork and a resource fork. The resource fork gets lost when going to pc. So you need the newer version to use aiff and wav.

So the problem will not be on your side if you choose pc, it will be on the mac users side.

Cheers, Andrés

VOXVENDOR said:

Well, Digi suggests you don't use your Pro Tools computer for anything else...

My PT computer is my PT computer Thats it!...

Never a stability problem.

Joe

I think that should go for any PC/Mac recording......I have a crappy ass HP Pavillion PC, 500mhz Celeron.....while I dont do anything as serious as you guys, i NEVER have any problems with it.....cant remember it ever crashing.......all it does is audio.......

yes you can do everything on one computer, but it will make your life easier to do audio only......

I second Gidge's suggestion.If you're afraid then do 2 hard drive partitions with 2 different operating systems and you're set.
Cheers, Andrés

ive heard protools setups are pricey as hell!
and limited cause you can only use pro tools hardware, and pro tools softwear..

BTW, ive heard Pro tools is a lot like logic, accept with less midi
and i don't use any midi, so i was considering making the switch in a few years, when i finaly get the dough to buy a full blown system.

So would i beable to adapt to protools from logic fairly easily? and is pro tools as good as logic?
i know its not as pretty looking, but is it as functional?

and how much for a good pro tools setup, with 8ins/outs, and all taht other stuff that deltas and the other cards come with.

what would the benefits be of getting a pro tools system, as opposed to just using logic , and maybe a delta and stuff like that?
do they have extra little gadgets you can buy for your pro tools setup that make things easier/betteR?

I think Digi 001 (8 in 8 out) Is $799.00 Comes with the rackmount breakout box and Pro Tools LE...

Better?... Well that is all to do with opinion.... One thing I can say is, Pro Tools is simple to learn..... I have heard it's alot easier than Logic is learn.... But thats just opinion I have heard..

Joe

ambi said:
ive heard protools setups are pricey as hell!
and limited cause you can only use pro tools hardware, and pro tools softwear..

BTW, ive heard Pro tools is a lot like logic, accept with less midi
and i don't use any midi, so i was considering making the switch in a few years, when i finaly get the dough to buy a full blown system.

So would i beable to adapt to protools from logic fairly easily? and is pro tools as good as logic?
i know its not as pretty looking, but is it as functional?

and how much for a good pro tools setup, with 8ins/outs, and all taht other stuff that deltas and the other cards come with.

what would the benefits be of getting a pro tools system, as opposed to just using logic , and maybe a delta and stuff like that?
do they have extra little gadgets you can buy for your pro tools setup that make things easier/betteR?

http://www.digidesign.com/home.cfm?/home.cfm

http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

A little research goes a long way. ;)

I would put the converters on the 001 up against anything MOTU makes in the same bit depth/sampling rate, and I'm positive the 001 would sound better. However, the full version 1010 sounds better, those are some nice converters. Never heard the RME's but I've heard good things about them.

I love my 001, and it will alway hold a place in my heart, and I know you've all heard me espousing the joys and glory of PTLE on Windows over and over... and I've always used both a PT LE Windows system and a PT TDM Mac system... but the other weekend, I was working on the Mac, and I had an epiphany...

Pro Tools TDM just rocks! I never have to worry about my track count, with a MixPlus system I get an ungodly amount of plugins, and I use almost entirely McDSP compressors and EQs, plus their Analog Channel 1 and 2 plugins, and it is freaking fantastic! I did so much work on the PC because I do so much composition in Fruity, but I think I'm going to start using the Mac system a lot more. It's jsut so killer to have a full on, 50 or 60 track session going, with 3 or reverbs (ReverbOne, LexiVerb, or the killer Kind of Loud RealVerb), 30 or 40 killer eqs and compressors, a couple of fun effects (Line6 Echo Farm and Amp Farm), and all sorts of bussing, and still have my CPU meter at like 5%. Say what you want about the last generation of TDM systems being overpriced and underpowered, mine kicks ass! Best of all, my sessions from the PC transfer right over... right now I really couldn't be happier with my DAWs.

TDM?

yea i would be tempted to get a mac setup
but then i would be limited to only audio, cause games, and everything else i do is on PC
plus, they're like 3x the price of a Pc

so i'd be buying a hella expensive computer just for audio.

Back