Pro tools

Revmuddy

How much is pro tools? Where do you get it? Can you download it for free as a friend told me? Lemmee know...please! :)

Pro tools comes only bundled with Audio interfaces. You got the LE version in the Mbox, Digi 002 and you got the regular TDM version with the larger interfaces, like the 96 i/o.

There is a free Version also downloadable, but it only goes to 8 tracks I suppose.

You can view all the info on the website www.digidesign.com .

What I'm concerned Pro tools is the best software available at the moment, but it is quite pricy and it is not the most easy way. Looking at your question I think you are new to recording (don't want to offend you if I'm wrong) so I would also check other software packages if you want to start making home recordings.

what makes protools software better? especially LE, isn't it only a 32 track software? meaning, i get only 16 stereo tracks?

-shami

Protools offers a complete line of software, interface boxes, plugins, controllers and you-name-it to studios that want maximum compatibility with other pro studios. It is shockingly expensive (how about $10K?) but pros keep buying it.

I use Adobe Audition and get pretty good results. If you are just starting out, there is so much more to learn than just the software that you will be way ahead starting with something simple and upgrading as your experience dictates.

Don't be swayed by gear snobbery: I know a guy with the latest Mac, Powertools and Neumann mics, and his recordings suck.

Thank You

I thank all 3 of you for your input.....I knew it was pricey but Whoa! 10K?
I am new to digital but have been doing analog since the 70's...I'm just trying to catch up a little....Thanks again. :)

Revmuddy said:
I thank all 3 of you for your input.....I knew it was pricey but Whoa! 10K?
I am new to digital but have been doing analog since the 70's...I'm just trying to catch up a little....Thanks again. :)

The Digi 002 rack is a great peice of equipment, gives you Pro Tools LE with an interface for a bit more than 1 K.

Why do pro's keep buying Pro Tools?
- the AD/DA convertors are awesome!
- It is the industry standard: it makes you compatible with almost every studio
- the software is extremely good: great plug in and waaaaay more possibilities than f.e. Adobe Audition, like lp deluxe clames.

Don't get me wrong: I also used CEP a lot and you can get great results: LPdeluxe has a point there. it also has a smaller learning curve than Pro Tools.

Good gear gives you more possibilities, but no garantee your workl will sound great:)

brett i really dont know why you favor it so much.
ive been in more than a few pro studios in my life, and i'm not sold.
the reason i never went for it is because in the past i bought proprietory solutions and was burnt. for example if a chip goes bad in the ada box.
the problem i have as a previous poster said is you can buy it and still - and i agree - ones recordings can suck.
what makes me worry is a lot of newbies are impressed by the fact big studios use it. they think naively if they get it hit records will ensue and ....the world will be their oyster as many have opined to me. the reason big studios use it is historical. at the beginning of the daw era it was the first decent product available.
but now there are an array of inexpensive solutions.
revmuddy you could give ntrack to george martin and he would still do great records. because he knows how to engineer better than the rest of us, and thats the real issue here. software is secondary.
the most important point as well is good convertors.
i have heard great songs done using ntrack or powertracks revmuddy
using delta 44 sound cards.
if you want a great low cost solution revmuddy where your not tied down to a particular vendor try ntrack with a delta sound card.

and if you want some great FREE plug ins rev go to kvr-vst.com.
try SIR reverb that everyone raves about and endorphin in ntrack as examples.

manning1 said:
i have heard great songs done using ntrack or powertracks revmuddy
using delta 44 sound cards.
QUOTE]

True, I never said you can't get great results with equipment that isn't the industry standard. Me personally, having worked with several systems, do like Pro Tools best of all. A personal preference, and when you feel better with nTrack, I not a snobby guy that will say you have to change.

all the best

hahahha, good to see you again Brett and manning...another Pro tools discussion??? Well, I'm not getting into it this time. But I'll say this for you Revmuddy...I like pro tools. It has a lot of features. It is expensive for the higher end versions but if you're just starting out, then get the MBox version. Before you get that, you can try the pro tools free version (available at www.digidesign.com), but it doesn't work on XP or OSX. Just look for Mbox on sweetwater.com or other music sites.

And Pro Tools LE is a 128 track software program but you can only play back 32 audio tracks simultaneously. Easy way around this, if you do reach the 32 limit, is just to bounce down the first 32 and then continue on with the rest. But I think if you plan on using 32 or more tracks on a project, you'd probably want to invest in the higher end versions. Good luck.

a couple of the studios around here use cakewalk and their recordings are pretty good..when the money is spent on it. a couple bands told me they went to one studio and their recordings sucked ass...i listened to their recordings and agreed. but what they didnt tell me was they paid 100 bucks for 5 songs on a "1 take" basis. the recording engineer was kind enough to give them a couple more takes when they would fuck up on songs. i went to the studio and walked in on a band being mixed that sounded great. had the band actually spent the money to make a good demo instead of the quickie "hey listen to me on the cd" bullshit they did. they might have had something....kinda didnt have the heart to tell the band their songs sound like shit in concert so it wouldnt matter who recorded them

Revmuddy said:

Rev -

Your profile says that your birthday is October 8th, 1980?

bennychico11 said:
hahahha, good to see you again Brett and manning...another Pro tools discussion???

Haha:) I'll stop replying now how much I like Pro Tools, I think everybody has got my point :p

Back