Pro Tools. Yea or Nay?

joemintz

There seems to be a lot of animosity towards Digidesign, Pro Tools, and units such as the Mbox and 002.

There also seems to be a lot of rave reviews of these items.

I've heard loads of contradictory information on both sides, often with little justification. I'm curious to hear people's reasons for either supporting or hating Digidesign and its products.

joemintz said:
There seems to be a lot of animosity towards Digidesign, Pro Tools, and units such as the Mbox and 002.

There also seems to be a lot of rave reviews of these items.

I've heard loads of contradictory information on both sides, often with little justification. I'm curious to hear people's reasons for either supporting or hating Digidesign and its products.

I've had a Digi001 for years. Work's great. PTLE is just fine too. I bypassed the pres and converters a long time ago.

i wont comment one way or the other. if your in the market for a very nice low cost multitrack solution that will work with high quality stereo or multi input sound cards. and if you have an open mind. try what i use.
youll be very surprised. if you want more info , or have q's - just ask.
note...48 tracks, 24 bit if you wish, and features like vocal pitch correction and harmonisation built in. to beat it , youll have to spend a lot of money,
and use many different software packages.
http://www.pgmusic.com/ptnewfeatures.htm
if you check on the user forums you will see some pro tools users use it.
peace.
ps..you can view an on line video tour of the product on this page...
http://www.pgmusic.com/powertracks.htm
as i said, keep an open mind...and be surprised.

I’m so sick of this 48 tracks for 49 buck shit.

How about you offer real advice instead of advertise some product?

fretwire. that really is not fair. ive helped loads of people over the past year sort out computer problems. and a host of other problems.
just go through the back posts. on the particular package i use, you post what you use...and we'll compare if you wish. i'm sorry, but i'm avid particularly with the new enhancements like 3840 ppq.
if you dont find that one feature technicall interesting , many experienced users do.

manning1 said:
fretwire. that really is not fair. ive helped loads of people over the past year sort out computer problems. and a host of other problems.
just go through the back posts. on the particular package i use, you post what you use...and we'll compare if you wish. i'm sorry, but i'm avid particularly with the new enhancements like 3840 ppq.
if you dont find that one feature technicall interesting , many experienced users do.

Yes, I understand that you are god. You know so many technical things i'll probably SEARCH UNDER YOUR NAME FOR HELPFUL HINTS.

Your comment had nothing to do with the thread.

no i'm not fretwire.
but there have been many occasions over the past year where someone doesnt know a certain thing is available. in the fostex forum for example
awhile back the poster posted on an issue, i responded and added he might want to look at what i use. he thanked me profusely later as a result.
i posted purely because several tools users have told me they bought what i use because of certain features they need which are missing , particularly in the midi area. tools IS a very nice product. but midi is where what i use excels. for example a new feature people find usefull is the new Guitar fretboard which displays bass, mandolin, ukulele and banjo.
this is unique stuff.
sorry if you dont agree.

been doing the recording thing for a few months. I use digi001 in one of the studios. it's nice. Sounds good. I prefer the motu that i have. It gives more options. More I/O options as well as adding more units down the line. It also does 96 and 192 khz sample rates where as the 001 only does 48. (not sure about the 002)

manning1, maybe you could get a banner on the front page of the forum.. then the kinda annoying "48 for 49" will be available all the time big time and won't be needed to be repeated everytime somebody asks a question about daw software.

It's not meant to be a mean comment by the way :) you have helped me quite a bit during the month I've been using the forum
but it really sounds like you are a salesagent for PGMusic.

this is my last comment in this thread traidma. because i get damn angry with this junk. i'm just an end user. if i had a better affordable solution i would post that too. but i dont. the product is unique in its price range. thats not my fault. i'm sorry.
but if you try it youll see what i mean. then youll agree with me.
like many sceptics before you.
i should also point out that i USED TO recommend in affordable recording packages if you check my back posts multitrackstudio.com, n track and
magix music studio (this one i also own as a USER). the problem is the
new release version 9 of powertracks has got so many new UNIQUE features , in many respects it blows my other recommendations away. thus i'm in a catch 22. peace.

Last edited:
i have a 002R i like it alot, but its realy all about personal prefrence... the software manning1 linked may suit u better, it all depends on what ur looking for and how much you wanna spend... if you have the money for a LE system i would tell you to buy it, but im biased i'll tell anyone with enouhg money to go get one... if you want more info on pro tools go to www.protoolsforum.com

The 002R is great. Very reliable, a mono switch, 4 pres (not amazing, but can get the job done), a lightpipe input for expanding it with products like the presonus digimax lt. I used to use MOTU products like the 24i/o and the HD 192...and this stomps all over it in reliability (though the HD192 sounded better). As far as the software...I've used Sonar (for pc) and Logic 6 (for mac), and I'd say that PT LE is definately the worst out of the bunch. There was actually a drastic sound difference between PT LE and Logic also. PT was MUCH thinner. Hope this helped.

I've talked to more than a few professional AE's here in Austin, and all of them tell me ProTools sounds like ass.
These are guys that have been in the biz a lot longer than you and I.
When I ask them which digital platform they DO prefer, I get a resounding, hands down, no holds barred answer of:
Nuendo.

The track limitation of PT LE makes it more a toy than anything else for me. LE should not be confused with the "real" PT (like PT/HD, PT/24).

Giganova said:
The track limitation of PT LE makes it more a toy than anything else for me. LE should not be confused with the "real" PT (like PT/HD, PT/24).

Yeah but who really needs more than 32 tracks?

It's amazing how spoiled we are these days. :)

well: me ;) you'd be surprised how complex the arrangemenets of trance and other electronic music genres are. Some of my songs have more than 40 tracks, which includes tons of VSTs, of course. I know its ridiculous, but I wouldn't wanna be limited by my recording/sequencing software.

Back