Pro Tools with Roland VS 2480

notredamer0789

Nashville Rocker
Hey guys, I know this can be done because I've seen SEVERAL people talk about it, so we are going to try it. We usually use Pro Tools LE running thru a 002 rack, but we have a Roland VS 2480 laying around so why not hook it up too! I know you have to hook them up via lightpipe optical cable.. the problem is NOW WHAT????? I know that the Roland has to the master and the 002 the slave, but I don't know how to do it. Can anyone walk me thru this??? PLEASE?!?! We just hooked the optical wires up.................... NOW WHAT?

Thanks guys!

Cory

www.chaseband.net

Not really sure what you mean by 'hook it up too'

Are you wanting the 2480 to be a Protools control surface or...?

Yeah I want to use it WITH pro tools as an extra surface. It can be paired via optical with the 002 rack just like a firepod would or any other firewire surface that supports adat.

I'm assuming, then, that you also have a DIF-AT24 connected to the 2480 to handle ADAT? Instructions here: https://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=100&navid=54&itemid=16565

The default Optical ports on the 2480 are SPDIF only.

I use my 2480 as a control surface for Sonar (via Midi) and can't comment on how to make it play nice with Protools gear, but info for configuring the 2480 as a control surface for various packages can be found here:

http://rolandus.com/uploads/CMS/Downloads/333/VS2480CD CS Mode Guide 2011.pdf

Hope this helps

:)

Roland VS-2000 Master with Roland MV-8800

Syncing MV-8800 To VS-2000 CD

Connect MV-8800 Midi In To Out Of VS-2000

VS-2000 Becomes The Master Controllor

MV-8800 Sync Set Up

Sync Mode To Slave-Mid- Midi

Midi Clock A & B On

Roland VS-2000 Set UP

Sync Mode INT

MIDI OUT SYNE GEN SET TO Midi Clock

Roland VS-2000 With Protools LE. And MV-8800/ Motif ES7

Roland VS-2000 Master Controller

Roland VS-2000CD Midi Out/Thru Into Protools Midi In.

Set Roland VS-2000 SHIFT UTILITY No#6 Sync Prm Select MTC Parameter

This Should get Roland VS-2000CD And Protools Clock Sync.

My Outboard Drum Machine Gear Roland MV-8800

Roland MV-8800 Midi In - Into Protools Midi Out. I use Output 2 On Protools

Set Roland MV-8800 Sync Mode to Slave- MTC (Midi)
Midi Clock Midi A On - Midi B On
MTC Midi A On- Midi B On

If you don’t no this part it will drive you crazy. Press Play On The Roland MV-8800 Drum Machine, light will start to blink. Then Press Play or Record On the Roland VS-2000 There you go All 4 Are Playing and Sync Up. If you have a Keyboard just leave it the same way it was hook up with your Motif And Your Roland MV-8800 The only thing change between those two is you just took out the Midi Input That goes to the Roland MV-8800 to switch to the Midi out so you can run that Into your Protools.

Hope this helps

GatlinProduction Recording Studio’s The Sync Master

HERE IS A GREAT RESON FOR THIS AND THIS IS HOW I LIKE TO DO THIS BECAUSE ITS A BUDGIT SAVER.

When Syncing up to Protools using your Mac Or PC That sync gets off sometimes
and on or more instruments get left behind. So I use the ROLAND VS-2000 SYNC CLOCK TO BE THE MASTER hint hint IT TAKE A LICK’EN AND KEEPS ON TICK’IN.

Protools Syncing is like playing Musical Cheers You never when it’s going to Top, Freeze ok Let’s shut Down Know I need a Reboot. There goes your project.

Here the cool part Use the Clock Sync on the VS-2000 Have your Audio going into Protools. Cool ha. Or Use your Audio Into Clear Pristine Roland VS Then Import Them Audio out on a CD. Upload them into Protools. Down you have Clear Digital And Them Warm them up. Check it you No Noise.

GatlinProduction Recording Studio’s The Sync Master

I am having a headache, there are too many parts to connect and don't understand each connection. Better hire someone who know how to do the connection.

Back