pro tools vs. logic

mojovoodoo

i have heard so many different things about both recording programs.i have worked with pro tools for about 2 years(not much, but enough to get a feel for it) and have not used logic at all. i was told that logic is comparable to pro tools yet cheaper and easier to afford more plugins. anybosy have their opinions on both these programs or the pros and cons?:confused:

i have only done a few quick sessions with pro tools (and never at the helm) but i own logic, so i wont be a great source, but i can tell you very quickly that they are pretty different.

pro tools is more oriented to replicate a standard studio experience, logic is much more free form--- created more for music production and less for recording if you catch my drift. better midi, easier perhaps for doing soundtrack sort of stuff.

i dont think one or the other has a particular advantage in terms of sound quality, but the hardware in pro tools, while expensive, makes it a bit more robust. but that robustitude comes at the expense of flexibility.

logic is a fuck of a lot cheaper. made for a different market... for the $500 student discount rate you get the full version of logic with the full suite of plugs (and they are pretty f-ing good). throw a $500 hardware card with that and you are off and running. a good deal.

you can get that sort of thing going at that price with pro tools LE, but LE comes with a bunch of limitations that puts it in a different class from logic.

Logic, it reminds me of Steinberg (what I use)
If you look you can find it for free for mac and pc, but be sure to buy it after trying it.

Back