pro tools/sound forge

B_rad

When I finish a mix in pt le I bounce as a 24 bit file. When I open it up in SF I have to convert it to 16 bit to listen to it. OR should I just run dither on the master track in pt and do the conversion to 16 bit there, before sound forge. ALSO, whats the best file format or most common to save your bounced files? I always use .wav. Thanks

As far as I know, a dither is a dither. Your still going to have to go to 16 to burn a playable cd anyway so..Try them both ways and see if theres a difference.
I save in .wav. Its a pretty universal format.

B_rad said:
When I finish a mix in pt le I bounce as a 24 bit file. When I open it up in SF I have to convert it to 16 bit to listen to it. OR should I just run dither on the master track in pt and do the conversion to 16 bit there, before sound forge. ALSO, whats the best file format or most common to save your bounced files? I always use .wav. Thanks

Your version of Sound forge doesn't open a 24 bit file?? mmm very weird...

The idea is to put the dither in the mastering application, SF in this case. If you're going to do the master in another soft, set the stereo interleaved file with tweakest conversion for the best quality, if you will stay in PT, let the bounce as separated mono files :cool:

PS: it doesn't matter if is a wav or aiff file, most mastering houses can deal with both of them ;)

Something is wrong with your SoundForge configuration. You should be able to listen/playback a 24bit file in SoundForge. Are you using your DigiDesign interface for SoundForge playback? Or, are you using your onboard soundcard?

digi interface. I have no other sound card accept maybe onboard sound which is disabled. SF wont play the 24 bit file. It says it do'nt support it. It must be a setting in options. I though that was kinda weird. Let me ask you, where in the mastering session would you convert it to 16 bit for the burn process? before or after the tweaking and eqing, ect. Would it be the very last thing to do? I'm also burning the final product using cd architect.peace ;)

What format 24bit file are you bouncing to out from ProTools? Stereo Interleaved WAV, or something other? What version of SoundForge are you using?

You change keep your file at 24 bit all through your mastering process. Dither to 16bits as the last stage before burning to CD.

yup, 24 bit stereo interleaved .wav. The most recent version of SF and CD Archetct. just got to figure out the 24 bit playback and I'm in. :) Thanks dudes!!!

B_rad said:
Let me ask you, where in the mastering session would you convert it to 16 bit for the burn process? before or after the tweaking and eqing, ect. Would it be the very last thing to do?

Yes, the dithering is applied in the final stage... ;)

Back