Pro Tools Questions/Advises

Claudio

Hello to everybody,i´ve just registered and i would like to make my very first question and searching for a little help...
I really would like to use Pro Tools as a sequencer but i´m been told that i need a piece of M-Audio hardware on my pc.
Well,i got a M-Audio Oxygen 25 keys midi keyboard,is this enough or i must have a special sound card ?
If so,what kind of soundcard i need and wich version of Pro Tools can i start with?
At the moment i have an Creative Audigy and a Presonus Audio Box soundcards,any chances to use Pro Tools with them ?

Thanks a lot to anyone will have the patience to help me.

Claudio

There are two types of Pro Tools. One is M-powered and requires M-Audio hardware to work. The other type uses the Mbox to function. Other than the Mbox or interfaces made by M-Audio, you can't use any other interface with Pro Tools. I'm not sure if you will be able to use it with one of M-Audio's MIDI controllers without a certified interface.

There are two types of Pro Tools. One is M-powered and requires M-Audio hardware to work. The other type uses the Mbox to function. Other than the Mbox or interfaces made by M-Audio, you can't use any other interface with Pro Tools. I'm not sure if you will be able to use it with one of M-Audio's MIDI controllers without a certified interface.

Thank you for the help.
Now,what pro tools is the best in order to use the included vstI ?
What audio interface i should buy with midi in and out (cheapest...)?

Thanks again

Best regards,Claudio

The oxygen can be plugged in via USB right? Just do that.

Here are your options for using pro tools LE (pro tools LE will be included with any of these):

List is least expensive to most expensive, and digidesign stuff will probably be gone fairly soon. The Avid mboxes are the newer model.
Digidesign mbox 2 micro
Digidesign mbox 2 mini
Digidesign mbox 2
Digidesign mbox 2 pro
Avid mbox mini
Avid mbox
Avid mbox pro
Digidesign 003 Rack
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Digidesign 003 Rack+factory
Digidesign 003

Here are your options for using m powered pro tools (pro tools m powered is a separate cost of $250 and runs on an ilok which is a little USB stick that goes on your computer, looks a little like a flash memory stick):

(all of these are m audio)

List is also least to most $$$
Audiophile 2426
Delta 44
Audiophile 192
Mobile Pre
Delta 66
Delta 1010lt
Firewire solo
Fast Track Pro
Keystudio 49i
Fast Track Ultra
Pro Keys Sono 61
Profire 610
Profire light bridge
Prokeys Sono 88
Fast Track Ultra 8R
Delta 1010
NRV10
Profire 2626
Project Mix I/O

And these 2 mackie boards (I think you have to buy a firmware upgrade or something like that):

820i
1220i
1620i
1640i

Now,what pro tools is the best in order to use the included vstI ?

Pro Tools LE and M powered are the same out of the box in every way (look etc...)

The only difference is the icon.

But to answer your question (because it's important):

Pro Tools does not use VSTi for software instruments. They use what is called "Real Time Audio Suite" or RTAS. The icon looks like this:

rtas_logo.jpg

These plugins are exclusive to pro tools. There is a way to get VSTi to run in pro tools, but it requires a wrapper (that isn't cheap for what it does).

But if your plugin is also in this format (check the manual?) then it will run on pro tools. ;)

Most purchased (MOST not all) come in AU (audio units), VSTi (Virtual Studio Technology IIRC) and RTAS so you are probably good to go.

Pro Tools LE and M powered are the same out of the box in every way (look etc...)

The only difference is the icon.

This is not quite correct. Your previous post was, however, very well written and informative ;)

M-Powered and LE are indeed incredibly similar, however there are a few differences:

M-Powered cannot use DV Toolkit or Complete Production Toolkit; the latter allowing track expansion to 128 tracks, and both providing useful tools for working with video. Complete Toolkit also allows you to work in up to 7.1 surround sound in Pro Tools LE.

Yeah, that is why I said out of the box. Unless there are LE packages that come with the DV and complete toolkits?

Either way, if I was looking at a 5.1 setup pro tools LE would literally be the last option I chose. ;)

Yeah, that is why I said out of the box. Unless there are LE packages that come with the DV and complete toolkits?
QUOTE]

Yeah you can buy the 003 units with CPTK.

You can also do hardware exchanges and get DVTK ;)

I'd probably not want to use LE for surround either...

Back