pro tools overrated!!!!!!!!

bhlewis

I LIVE IN NASHVILLE TN WHERE EVERY STUDIO HAS A PRO TOOLS RIG NOW? HOWEVER IM STILL USING SONAR. WHICH I FEEL IS MUCH BETTER. HOWEVER SINCE I AM WORKING IN THIS TOWN NOW EVERYBODY IS TRYING TO GET ME TO CONVERT. OTHER PROFESSIONALS IN TOWN TELL ME THAT IT IS BETTER TO BE COMPATIBLE WITH OTHER STUDIOS AS WELL AS BE ABLE TO OFFER THE SAME AS MY COMPETITON. SO I GUESS NOW I HAVE TO INVEST IN DIGI 001 SYSTEM. AND IT MAKES ME MAD!!!!!!!

Skip the Digi 001, if you're going ProTools, go ProTools, not the pretend ProTools. They'll still laugh at that... If you want compatibility, try Motu's Digital Performer 3, and you should still be able to use your current soundcards. Its protools compatible, and its the only thing that I think is neck and neck with Sonar. You should be able to transfer sessions from ProTools to Digi-Performer and vice-versa. Digital Performer is really nice now, check it out. www.motu.com
According to an email, Sonar might incorporate the ability to swap sessions with ProTools and Steinberg stuff. Keep your fingers crossed.
How is Sonar doing for ya, anyway? You have all the current patches?
Peace.

It really does depend on who you hang around with doesn't it. I have a friend who hangs out with the Mac Protools guys so he went out and spent a bundle on a G4 etc. When he saw my Pc setup and compared the cost his mouth dropped.!!

I aslo have a friend who is into video editing and he was totally mac until he hired this editor who has a P4 at home and is constantly complaining about how slow the mac is ;);)

cheers
john

Well, opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and my asshole, er, opinion is..I've had the Digi 001 on a Mac G4 and a PC rig running Cakewalk and Vegas and preferred it over the G4/ Digi combo. They all sound about the same, it's your front end that makes the biggest audible difference IMHO.

I agree with tubedude, you would need to skip the dig001. It is not a full blown Protools set-up, however, if you are looking at a TDM based system, this is serious BUCK$!

I know because I am putting together a configuration now, and even if you go third party on some of the hardware, you're still talking about $9-10K investment if you start from the ground up and then you aren't going to get that many more tracks than the digi001 util you spend MORE BUCK$!

What the hell is Pro Tool exactly?

I have heard so much about pro Tool sin my year and a half that I have been building my home studio. I decieded on e-Magic Logic Audio Platinum becasue I was told by 100,000 people that it was the most powerful software without steppiung up to "Pro Tools." Every time I even mention pro Tools in a music store they just kind of hold their hands up and make that "ooooo I don't want to even go there" facial expression. So please, I understand that pro Tools is expensive. But what the hell is it?
1) Is it software?
2) Hardware?
3) Both?
4) Is it a company?
5) If it is then who is Digidesign or whomever it is that seems to mentioned synomusly with pro-tools.
6) I have a Pent III 933 Mhz PC. Could I too, if I wanted to, turn this PC into a Pro Tools DAW?
7) I have a Delta-66 Omni Studio sound card. Would that be worthless if I "went Pro Tools"?
8) And the most important question is... what is the HUGE deal about Pro Tools? Is it really THAT much better than my set up? here is what I have...

- Pent III 933 MHz PC, 128 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD (normal HDD not 7200 rpm unfortunately)
- MidiSport 2x2 Midi Interface (would this also be worthless with Pro Tools?)
- MK-149 Evolution keyboard controller
- Roland JV 1010 Sound Module
- Beyerdynamic DT 990 Headphones
- Line 6 POD Guitar Direct Recording box. (could I use this with Pro Tools?)
- Gibson ES 335 (just mentioning it because I just got it for X-mas)
- Logic Audio Platinum 4.8. (Is there any kinf od cross grade to Pro Tools? Like where you pay a really reduced price to pro Tools, they send you their software, turn in your Logic Audio and are registered as a Pro Tools user. I know a guy that just turned in his Sonar to E-magic and got Logic Audio Gold and the sampler exs24 for like $210.

I have always wanted to know what Pro Tolls was. One last question.... is it easier to work, or just powerful as hell yet a total fucking mystery to work?

Thanks for your patience guys, these must seem like some pretty lame questions,

Mike

YES I AGREE WITH EVERYBODY. AND TUBEDUDE I'LL CHECK OUT THE MOTU UNIT. DID YOU SAY THAT IT IS CAPATIABLE WITH PRO TOOLS? I HAVE GOT PLENTY OF PRO TOOLS SOFTWARE BUT NONE WANT TO RUN WITHOUT THE DIGI HARDWARE.

Hello, pisces7378, to be honest you might want to just go to the digidesign page and look at their products and what is or is not compatible. The list of do's and don'ts is extensive in regards to hardware requirements.

www.digidesign.com

Vice

Re: Caps

pisces7378 said:
I don't type in all caps... I just type rediculassly Long questions that no one answers.

Here's the deal.

DigiDesign

It's hardware, it's software, it's a brand name like NIKE. You'll look cool with it, you'll get more respect for having it, the big cool kids wont pick on you for owning a pair of Converse, and at the end of the day the work you produce will still sound like you produced it.

It's solid stuff...... but like the guys at the music store..... oooomylord can you really justify spending $7000-12000 just for a couple of sound cards with no interface.
"oooooo you really dont want to go there."

If you want pro but not brand-name investment, check out DP3.
http://www.motu.com

You'll thank yourself for it in the end.

J

p.s. - You will not be able to run Pro Tools on your PC without changing to NT and you're M-Audio card will not work with the software. Pro tools is best know for audio editing and even seasoned pros will admit that it works poorly as a sequencer.

PT is always knocked............by those that dont own it or cant afford it.

If you want competition to PT look at the "Paris" setup.

I think one of the most interesting developments in DAW is the cards made by TC Works, Universal Audio, et. al. that work on regular computers(PCI slot) and perform the plug-in processing in a similar way to Pro-Tools. Assuming equal plug-in quality, I can't see too many Pro-Tools advantages and none relevant to homewrec'rs.

Much of Protools' advantage and rep is built on having arguably the easiest to use audio(audio as opposed to MIDI) editing software. This is opinion. From an objective stand point, it has a huge advantage over most DAW systems because it performs it's plug-in and other processing on dedicated outboard chips and thus doesn't really rely on your computer's CPU- more fx, more tracks, less crashes.

my 2 pence: Pro Tools was around many years ago doing the kind of things that many DAW's on PC or Mac can do today using they're onboard processing power.

while doing a sound engineering course almost 9 years ago in Toronto, Canada we were shown a ProTools setup back then that could do many cool things such as quantise live recordings and pitch adjust vocals...this was back when Logic was just a sequencer called Notator on the Atari for most people and Windows was version 3.1(i still miss it).

it's not that it's not worth the money they charge for it, just that there's a lot of money that can be saved if your setting up at home and it would be wise & practical to go the DAW route of spending less than half the cash on a PC or MAC setup with other HD recording software.

the main thing for Protools is it was initially geared up as a cheaper alternative to spending $100, 000 dollars on a mixing desk, multitrack and outboard equipment which is what it cost the old school producers to setup they're studios...but now it's being touted as expensive when compared to the man in his bedroom who's coming from the complete other end of the equipment buying spectrum.

is it worth it? depends who you...a big studio can afford it and offset the cost through taxes & expenses.

i know people who have less than ProTools, make good music on what they've got, get a record deal and go and buy ProTools...why? dunno, it just happens that way.

I guess I had better get pro tools so I dont get picked on!!!!
Oh and sorry about all caps thats just my laziness kicking in!!

Back